ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

editing a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Spiegelmanediting a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:04:28 pm

Hey Gurus,

I think this may be a dumb question, but I've been trolling for a clue and have turned up nothing.

Here's the problem: I like to build trackmattes by collecting black and white layers (ie grunge) + black solids with animated masks together into a precomp. Then I use the precomp as a trackmatte on a layer.

Now sometimes I'd like to make a small edit to the precomp (say fixing a badly roto'd edge) but I have to go 'into' my trackmatte-precomp to make the edit and can no longer see the effect of the change i'm making.

I know I can work around this issue by separating the layers of the trackmatte onto separate layers of the video, but this seems like over-complexity.

So: is there a way to work in a precomp and see the effect in the main output comp?

Thanks ( I'm sure this is a super simple issue)

Return to posts index

Ben SpiegelmanRe: editing a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:18:55 pm

OK, shortly after posting, I found the answer: and indeed its super simple. I'll post the answer here for other newbs.

- Select your output comp in the timeline, click on the composition window then go to VIEW>New Viewer. - This will give you 2 views of this composition.
- Click the lock next to the name of the comp in one of these viewers (top right of the window). Now, when you select a precomp WITHIN that comp, it will pop up in the other viewer.

Duh.

Return to posts index

Ben SpiegelmanRe: editing a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:19:35 pm

OK, shortly after posting, I found the answer: and indeed its super simple. I'll post the answer here for other newbs.

Select your output comp in the timeline, click on the composition window and go to VIEW>New Viewer. This will give you 2 views of this composition. Click the lock next to the name of the comp in one of these viewers (top right of the window). Now, when you select a precomp WITHIN that comp, it will pop up in the other viewer.

Easy.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: editing a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:25:49 am

There's more information about ETLAT (edit-this-look-at-that) workflow here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Ryan WalkerRe: editing a precomp and seeing the effect in your main comp?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:57:14 pm

Thanks, found this useful

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]