ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Objects move inbetween keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben JohnsonObjects move inbetween keyframes
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 2:30:07 am

Using After Effects CS4. On my stage I have a basic rectangle shape that I use to place text on top. At one point this shape slides into position, the text appears and then the shape slides out of view.

The problem I'm having is in between the enter and exit points, the shape moves slightly and no matter how many keyframes I add to try and counter this, the shape still moves slightly.

Why would the shape do this and how can I prevent it from doing it?

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Objects move inbetween keyframes
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:16:07 am

I'm just going to copy and paste my answer from earlier today, :)

Most likely your keyframes are set to one of the bezier types. Simple answer, click the position keyframes, right click on one of them and select "Keyframe Interpolation" and change your spatial keyframes to "linear".

To understand this better though, I suggest adobes help:

And check out the 2 part tutorial here at the Cow:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Objects move inbetween keyframes
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:42:48 am

Just to add to John's answer, you may want to check the preferences box that says something like "default spatial interpolation to linear" to avoid this issue in the future until you get more use to working with keyframes in AE.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Objects move inbetween keyframes #AfterEffects
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 9:06:19 am

Great links to help you out there but I'd like to add that if you are using two keyframes to hold a position value between two points in time you should always make the first keyframe a Held keyframe. Just right-click on the first keyframe and choose Toggle Hold Keyframe.

As well as removing unwanted motion this will also ensure there are no issues with interlacing. It also means you can continue to use Bezier keyframes if that's what you need. There are times when you may want to ease in or ease out the motion from the held position. A keyframe can be Bezier on one side and held on the other.

Hope this helps.

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved