ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Really need advice on music video editing technique

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam AldersonReally need advice on music video editing technique
by on May 29, 2014 at 7:12:49 am

Hi there,

I am editing a music video and would love (need) some advice on the most efficient way to do this.
I have three different types of shots, one for each of the three people in the video. Then each person has 3 different costumes, and each costume has 4 different angles.
So thats 3 people x 3 costumes x 4 angles = 36 shots
I have gone through and edited out anything I can't work with from these shots and am left with 36 clips, all synched, and cut up to leave just the good bits.
I have attached a screenshot of my sequence so you can see what it looks like (the three different colors represent the three different people). I am using Premiere Pro CS4 by the way.

I want to edit these clips in a fast-paced way similar to Technotronic's Pump up the Jam

What is the most efficient way to go about this? I was going to add another video track to the sequence and just cut and paste into it, but seeing as there are so many clips to compare and it will be so many quick shots I was wondering if this is the best way.

Thank you so much if you can help
Sam

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Really need advice on music video editing technique
by on May 29, 2014 at 4:29:55 pm

Also, check out this thread where is seems like someone was working out the same issue.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Really need advice on music video editing technique
by on May 29, 2014 at 4:04:47 pm

After Effects definitely isn't the tool you're looking for for this.

Premiere Pro has a multicam edit feature that basically allows you to do a "live edit" by clicking shots as you go, but I think it limits you to 4 cameras.

Maybe use the opacity rubber-bands on the clips. Drag it down to 0 on one clip, copy the clip, and paste the opacity attribute to all the other clips so everything on your timeline is at 0 opacity. Then you can quickly drag up the rubber band on a shot to see it without having to worry about shots above it on the timeline. If you don't like it, drag it back down and try another one. Just an idea. I've never used the technique on a timeline with so many synced layers, so it may be just as tedious as any other way.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Really need advice on music video editing technique
by on May 29, 2014 at 1:28:02 pm

This question would be better-suited for the Premiere forum or, even better the Art of the Edit forum.

Moving clips up to a top layer in your sequence might be workable. You could also create a new, clean sequence and copy and paste your clips there, but it might be easier to just have everything in the one...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]