ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trying to create this effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent WattsTrying to create this effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:47:19 am

link to the rough cut of my project

At the end of the video, I'm trying to have the mini-golf video fly out of the tv frame and come toward the camera until it fills the frame completely. My issue is that the mini-golf clip exists in a sub-composition (4x4 video squares) and I can't figure out how to have it "jump out" into the main composition. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Trying to create this effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:59:32 pm

Without knowing exactly how your compositions are set up, I think the quickest way to accomplish this is to duplicate your 4x4 composition, and in the new comp delete everything but Minigolf.

In your final comp, duplicate the 4x4 image layer and using 'alt replace' method drop your mini-golf solo comp on to the top version of the 4x4 layer. Now both images should be synced.

Now you should be able to scale up mini golf while the rest of the image maintains it's size.

You could also add some lights to cast some shadows that might sell the effect more. You would probably want to change the layer properties to not accept the lights, but just cast shadows though...but play around to suit your and more importantly, the clients tastes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Trent WattsRe: Trying to create this effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:14:55 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think I follow your post. Here's how my compositions are laid out.

1st composition - 4 x 4 video squares

2nd composition - 2 x 2 squares of 1st composition

3rd composition - light, camera, text, 2nd composition

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Trying to create this effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:57:05 pm

What you need is the mini-golf video to be isolated from the rest of the screens. So want you want in your final composition is your "Big TV Screen" layer to be at the bottom of the stack and a directly above it "Minigolf_Solo" that you will control in the final comp.

So in your project window, duplicate the composition "TV Screen", and call it "Minigolf_base". Now remove everything from "Minigolf_base" except the mini-golf movie.

Duplicate in the project window "Big TV Screen" and rename it "Minigolf_Solo". Replace the 4 "TV Screen" layers with "Minigolf_base". Turn on continous rasterization(looks like a little sun icon"

Open your final comp and duplicate "Big TV Screen", now replace the "Big TV Screen" that is on top, with "Minigolf_solo". Turn on continuous rasterization. Now you can scale up and rotate your "Minigolf_solo" layer, while the rest of the layers remain static.

Alternatively, you could just take your, drop it into your final composition, turn it into a 3d layer and place it over the minigolf movie in "Big TV Screen" layer. Then just scale, rotate, zPosition change it to fill the entire screen when necessary. This method is a bit less precise but maybe a little quicker.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved