ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Aspect Ratio Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne YeeAspect Ratio Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 4:56:33 am

Sorry for such a noob question but I am creating an animation composition in After Effects CS5 that will be used in Premiere Pro in my photo montage.

I will be playing the montage through my laptop that can play bluray disks so it should be able to output up to 1080p (laptop screen is also 1080p). The projector that I'll be using is a Sharp XR-32X DLP projector and from the specs shown on the website, it can display up to 1080p as well.

However, the projector screen that is available is only 8x8 feet so it is definitely not wide screen. I wanted to create the composition in high def 720p but the aspect ratio will be 16:9, correct? Therefore, am I better off just making the composition as NTSC D1 (720x486)? I'm guessing that it is technically better to just create the project based on how it will be displayed rather than just the output off the projector alone?

Sorry if I didn't include enough information. I'm new to this stuff and learning on the fly but making good progress.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Aspect Ratio Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 1:02:55 pm

Another option would be to create your comp in an HD comp, but center cut it, black bars on each side.

The best thing to do,= is call the people with the projector/screen and ask/talk with them about what deliverable will provide the best display BEFOER YOU START. They might say 720x486, 720p, 1080i, thing is you won't know until you ask and you might end up doing work that will need to be redone because it doesn't work for them.(sadly I speak with WAY too much experience on this issue.)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved