ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

display fireworks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim cooperdisplay fireworks
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:56:53 pm

I have what I think is a neat idea but I need some help. I would like to take several different videos that I have of display fireworks and merge them into one video. I would like for it to be flv. Is it possible to make the background transparent on each video and then merge. I'm thinking filter the black into the transparency? I have the full cs5 suite. Also how do I deal with the individual sound tracks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: display fireworks
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:20:52 pm

The fireworks being over a night sky, should make it pretty doable.

If these displays were shot at different locations and buildings are present, trees...the first step would be to mask that out. Next you might want to add a levels or curves effect to crush the blacks and brighten everything else.

Then you have a few differnt ways you can approach this. You could lay the tracks on top of each other and use the "add" transfer mode. This would give a quick an easy way to do it, but the fireworks will add together.

Another approach would be to add a "Luma Key" effect, use the "Key Out Darker" key type. And just adjust the threshold up to say 20...That should get rid of your blacks and give you a key on the fireworks. Adjust edge feather to taste. You could also try the key type "key out similiar" and adjust the tolerance, that also may work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: display fireworks
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:54:14 pm

An alternative to luma key is the free plugin called Unmult. It might suit you better.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

jim cooperRe: display fireworks
by on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:15:16 pm

Thanks Johny and Michael, I am having great success with these ideas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved