ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Capturing video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Bargo Jr.Capturing video
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:45:17 pm

I'm in a bind. I have old AE 6.5, and my Premiere no longer works well with it.Question: I want to capture video from my old Sony VX2000 camera to iMovie, I have a new iMac. Is there any way I can export videos from iMovie, and then place the video footage into AE 6.5? I can't afford new after effects. Another issue: my old VX2000 only has a cable for Firewire 400, but I imagine I can use a Firewire 400 to 800 adapter, and then use that to place video into the iMovie. Any related thoughts are greatly appreciated. TY

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Capturing video
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:03:42 pm

[Michael Bargo Jr.] "I have old AE 6.5, and my Premiere no longer works well with it."

i'm not sure that matters too much, if you can capture from your camera with premier just export to a common quicktime codec like photo-jpeg. pretty much any version of ae should work fine with something that.

i don't know enough about imovie to tell you if you can export to from it, but it probably captures to hdv for hd, or dv25 for sd. if you can find those captured clips you could bypass exporting. dv25 should be fine in ae, but you'd like to convert hdv to something else, like photo-jpeg. media encoder should do that, as would any number of compression utilities.

quicktime pro can also capture from firewire, and it could also produce a quicktime file that you could use in ae... if premiere is not an option, i'd probably spend the $30 bucks for quicktime pro if i didn't see a straight forward way to export a quicktime file from imovie, or grab the imovie captured file directly.

as for the firewire 400/800 adapter or cable, yes that should work just fine.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael Bargo Jr.Re: Capturing video
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:14:34 pm

Great idea. The problem is, my old Premiere does not work with the Intel based IMac, but AE does. QUicktime should work. I create movies in Quicktime format with the AE in the old computer. For some reason, I am no longer able to copy files onto either a USB utility stick or onto CDs. Something is wrong with the memory, or writing software. Any ideas on that would be appreciated. Your suggestion for Quicktime Pro, accepting video from the VX2000, sounds best. I'll try that. thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Capturing video
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:38:52 pm

[Michael Bargo Jr.] "The problem is, my old Premiere does not work with the Intel based IMac, but AE does."

that makes more sense now...

here's a link to a tip for running non-intel after effects on intel macs:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/jones_graham/AE7_on_Intel_MacPro.ph...

i do think that quicktime pro would probably help you out -- you might want to check out the users guide to make sure there aren't any caveats for cameras... but it should capture the media off the camera into your intel mac.

as for the older powerpc not reading usb sticks or cds, my best guess would be that something is very wrong with the system software and it may require a reinstall, or a new hard drive and a reinstall... you could try running the disk utility on it and try to do a repair permissions and verify disk to see if what that does. also the original osx disk has a hardware test that can verify the hard disk, ram and graphics card.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]