ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Auto align layers end-to-end

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly JohnsonAuto align layers end-to-end
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:54:52 pm

I remember doing this waaay back in AE6.5 and now, after years of not using AE, I'm back in AE CS5.5....

I have 5 layers, each with a vid clip... there was some keystroke that would take each layer and align them out among the time automatically so that the end of the top layer would essentially mark the beginning of the next layer and so on.

I have the preference set to add new layers to the time marker, but this was a much faster way of just selecting all the layers, keystroke and bam... it was in one of those early Myer books.

Anyone have an idea that works in CS 5.5?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Auto align layers end-to-end
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:05:55 pm

i don't remember the keystroke (though the manual has tons of keyboard shortcuts), but if you select the layers, then choose animation>keyframe assistant>sequence layers, you should get you what you are after.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

jean mathisRe: Auto align layers end-to-end
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 4:24:47 am

The answer to your question lies obviously in a script, for instance I have a script that orders layers from top to bottom with criteria of in point first on timeline, its almost what you request but not exactly. Maybe the script already exists somewhere, if not it sounds like an easy one to write, maybe you can request it at

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Auto align layers end-to-end
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:26:40 am

Kevin's suggestion of the sequence layers assistant is the simplest solution. Before sequencing you can trim the layers by placing the time marker where you want to trim them, selecting them all and then hitting Alt-[ (trim in point) or Alt-] (trim out point).

Also, Paul Tuersley's Shift Layers script is fantastic, it offers much more control over layer sequencing tasks like these.

Hope this helps!

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved