ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

B-splines

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Beall
B-splines
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:42:30 pm

I used to do a lot of roto work, and b-splines really saved the day..

I can't seem to find any way to do that in AE.. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: B-splines
on Oct 19, 2011 at 8:22:16 pm

you can get bezier curves with masks or the pen tool, but i've not seen b-splines. there may be some third party effects that could give you b-splines, but i've not come across any....

i don't think mocha does b-spline, but you might take a look at it... it comes bundled with ae and you can find several tutorial here on it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: B-splines
on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:13:42 pm

The term "B-Spline" can be a little confusing in AE-world. I like to call then "NURBS" (Non-Rational B-Spline curves), since that's where I first came across the stuff, in Maya-land.

AE doesn't have anything like that; it uses Bezier curves for everything (hence the confusion, as Bezier also begins with a B).

Mocha does have something similar to B-Splines, but it calles them "X-Splines" (it also has Bezier curves). If you prefer NURBS for rotoscoping, then MochaAE is the way to go. (Note that MochaAE comes with AE.)

Personally, I prefer to use NURBS-style rotoscoping for less-precise work, and Bezier curves for super-detailed stuff.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]