ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Circle path for Objects... like a child's Mobile or Carousel.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian phillips3D Circle path for Objects... like a child's Mobile or Carousel.
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 8:48:23 pm

I'm trying to make a circle mask with either 3d stroke or simply using the mask tool so I can rotate several objects along said circle in a 3D space. I want to move them in front of my active camera, one by one, like a Lazy Susan of sorts. Maybe a Carousel at the fair is a better analogy.

I somehow don't have the skill to pull it off. I can do it using a null and then keyframing my objects rotation to keep them facing front, I'm just wondering if there's an easier way using a mask path or motion path combined with an expression perhaps?

Thanks in advance to any guru with knowledge.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3D Circle path for Objects... like a child's Mobile or Carousel.
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:27:09 pm

The easiest way to do it would be to place a 3d null object a certain distance behind your objects, then parent one of the objects to it, rotate the null on the Y axis a certain amount, parent the next one, rotate it, etc.
The "certain amount" to rotate would be 360 degrees divided by how many objects you have. The "certain distance" behind your objects the null object should be would be the radius you want the mobile to be.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave RowleyRe: 3D Circle path for Objects... like a child's Mobile or Carousel.
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:35:26 pm

Great advice! I was looking to do this exact thing with a spinning video carousel and this did the trick right off the bat.

Return to posts index

Uchiha ItachiRe: 3D Circle path for Objects... like a child's Mobile or Carousel.
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:32:34 am

If you want to make fantastic carousel effect, I recommend you to apply something like a carousel component into your project, these things can make your work more convenient. However, the carousel data-binding needs some time to investigate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]