ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask on an invisible layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles FerranMask on an invisible layer?
by on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:31:13 pm

I feel sooooo dumb today!

Can't believe I couldn't figure this out.

Anyway, what I'm trying to accomplish is this: I have a bunch of headshot pictures coming down, they're all slightly different sizes and I want them all to fall from the top of the comp and land on the same horizontal spot, with a mask there to cut off the excess trim of the pictures on the bottom.

How I 'feel' it should work: I create a new solid then place a mask on it where I want the trim to happen. Works great 'cept now I've got half of a solid color I can't seem to get rid of. "oh, easy" says my simple reptilian brain, I'll just drop the opacity of the solid... mask opacity fades away as well... ehhh... *brain melts*

Any help?

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mask on an invisible layer?
by on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:44:06 pm

there are transfer modes called 'stencil alpha' and 'silhouette alpha' (near the bottom of the list of modes).

try moving your solid above the layers to get cropped, then trying one of those transfer modes.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Charles FerranRe: Mask on an invisible layer?
by on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:52:56 pm

thank you! worked perfectly! Used Silhouette Alpha and put all the images in a separate comp, one solid on top and bottom, they fall into view. Looks great! need to remember this tip.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]