ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Proper codec to bring After Effects footage into Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MarchandProper codec to bring After Effects footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:57:32 pm

I am working on After Effects on my Windows machine because it is faster than my Macbook. However, whenever I try to bring something over from After Effects into Final Cut, I seem unable to get the proper codec/file format.

I was wondering if there was maybe something I could download or if there was a proper codec/way to render footage in order for it to be opened in Final Cut.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Proper codec to bring After Effects footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:56:31 am

[Andrew Marchand] " I seem unable to get the proper codec/file format."

It would be helpful if you were more specific here. Is the image not showing up at all, or are you simply needing to render everything?

In general, if you're on a PC and want to send something to a Mac, you'll want to install Quicktime player and render to a .mov using a Quicktime codec. The Animation codec is the most reliable codec (in my experience) but it isn't for editing, so your editor will need to recompress it into whatever codec s/he is using for editing.

Ideally you will be able to compress to the exact codec that's being used for editing, but if it's ProRes (for example) you won't be able to do that. So if there isn't a way to render to the exact codec you need, then render to .mov with the Animation codec.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Proper codec to bring After Effects footage into Final Cut Pro
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:28:37 pm

That's not exactly true. ProRes 4444 can carry the alpha channel. Just enable Millions of Colors + in the output. With Macs, I much prefer it over the Animation codec.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]