ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

this effect

COW Forums : Video Copilot

vlad patrulescu
this effect
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:47:52 am

Hi guys!

i was wondering if anyone can help me achieve this effect

around second 17-18


thanks alot!

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: this effect
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:53:01 pm

Do some searching for "chromatic aberration." Here's a recent thread about it in the photoshop forum. But you'll find lots of talk about this sort of effect all over the place; it's been very popular over the past couple years.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: this effect
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:00:17 pm

Actually chromatic aberration is more of a fringe at the edges due to high contrast.

That looks more like a channel blur with some keyframes applied

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Sean Mullen
Re: this effect
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:33:36 pm


To do this effect manually, you need to mix channel separation and frame shaking.

Channel Separation -

Apply the Set Channels Effect to your footage (Effect > Channel > Set Channels)
Duplicate your layer three times
Set your shift channels to only one color per layer, turn the rest off.
For example, layer 1 take red from red, layer 2 take green from green, layer 3 take blue from blue.
Set all layers to Add transfer mode.

Frame shaking -

Apply this to effect to each layer. Set two position keyframes, highlight the keyframes and use the wiggler. In the wiggler, set (apply to) to spatial path and (noise type) to jagged. Adjust your frequency and magnitude to your liking. Hit apply. Use the Motion Tile effect with the mirror edges option checked. Play with the output width and output height to cover any space that appears around your frame. Make sure to turn on motion blur in your comp.

Additionally you can use the wiggle expression to achieve this effect.

There are also many After Effects distortion tools on the market that can give you this look, here's a few that I recommend:

Separate RGB from AEScripts
Data Glitch from AEScripts
Damage from DigiEffects
Twitch from Video CoPilot

I hope this helps!

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

© 2019 All Rights Reserved