ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate consistent speed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve DeVriesAnimate consistent speed.
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:28:43 pm

I'm trying to create a simple animation where several video clips are scaled down, swiveled with basic 3D and animated across the screen (right to left), scaling up as they go, one after another - eventually ending up off screen.

I thought I could create one animation and copy the key frames to the next movie clip. However, the second animation always goes faster than the first.

I thought maybe the problem was with roving key frames. But that didn't work. Basically, if I start the first movie clip animating at 0 seconds, and the next movie clip animating at 5 seconds, they should keep their distance and scale at the same rate as they go. That's not what happens. The second clip always ends up "passing" the first clip. Any suggestions?

I hope the question isn't too vague. Not sure how to word it.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animate consistent speed.
by on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:21:43 pm

Another method you could use would be to add an expression(compliments Chris Wright) to your position and a null controller to adjust the speed. You could use this expression, just create a null and name it "Control" and give it a slider control effect. You can set up the spacing between layers either by offsetting the layer in Points, or by their initial position.

// Throw (move at a constant speed without keyframes)
veloc = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Slider Control")("Slider"); //horizontal velocity (pixels per second)
x = position[0] + (time - inPoint) *veloc;
y = position[1];

Benefit of doing it this way, is if you decide you want to change speeds, you don't have to change any keyframes, just the slider value.

Example project:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Animate consistent speed.
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:10:44 pm

Hi -- you could also do it by setting up one layer / copy x times as required / stagger layers along timeline as required / then change the contents of each layer by clicking layer - hold alt key down - then drag new footage from the input panel and drop onto required layer....

Return to posts index

Steve DeVriesRe: Animate consistent speed.
by on Jun 6, 2014 at 2:58:24 pm

Thank you all for your help. It's been awhile since I've used After Effects and it's all coming back slowly. I'll be working on this later today and try the suggestions you provided.

Again, I appreciate the help!!!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animate consistent speed.
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:25:12 pm

If the keyframes are the same distance apart, they should be the exact same. Something must be a bit odd in your process.
Why are you using the obsolete basic 3d instead of simply ticking the 3d switch for your layers?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Animate consistent speed.
by on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:49:05 pm

You can take all of your photos and line them up the way you like. Then parent them to a Null object and change the position on the Null object. Then they will all move at the same speed and only one set of keyframes.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved