ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS3 Crashes on Save

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron DebreczeniAE CS3 Crashes on Save
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:06:00 pm

It did'nt do it until now, but AE CS3 crashes(exits) when I click "save" the project, and it doesn't save it.
What can be the problem?

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS3 Crashes on Save
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:17:52 pm

We'll need more information before we can offer a straight answer.

Since you run AE 8, the most common cause at this point is that you used the wrong kind of footage in AE. Here's an explanation:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron DebreczeniRe: AE CS3 Crashes on Save
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:18:58 pm

I had h.264 .mov 1920*1080, footage in it. I've put them into compressor and found NTSC and PAL animation presets, so I chose NTSC. When I replaced the old footage with Alt+drag-and-drop, the footage was much smaller than the old one. I thought, it was it's because the NTSC format is at lower resolution. I couldn't find the PNG codecs, so I've chosen something that is HD and not HDV, so DVCPRO HD was my choice. Replaced the footage with it, saved, it went well. Then I did what I did before it crashed, and bamm, it crashed again. Guess I have problem with what I did, so here it is:
I've got a pre-comp with 6 text layers in it. I've put a card wipe transition at the end of the first layer, it went well. The crash came when I put the card wipe effect on the other 5 layers, and saved.
Is that enough information, or do you have to know more? If so, what do you need?
Thanks for the attention.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:15:24 pm

[Aaron Debreczeni] "I had h.264 .mov 1920*1080, footage in it. I've put them into compressor and found NTSC and PAL animation presets, so I chose NTSC."

Bad Preset choice. Nose around in compressor a little deeper to find the HD ProRes 422 preset.

[Aaron Debreczeni] "Then I did what I did before it crashed, and bamm, it crashed again. Guess I have problem with what I did, so here it is:
I've got a pre-comp with 6 text layers in it. I've put a card wipe transition at the end of the first layer, it went well. The crash came when I put the card wipe effect on the other 5 layers, and saved."

If you did what you did before, this means by definition that you've again got H.264 footage in AE, and it won't work. It's the codec of the footage which is the shortcoming, and not some something strange happening to AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:06:25 am

I've changed the footage to HD ProRes 422 footage, but AE still crashes on save.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:41:38 pm

It could be a corrupt media file.

You may have multiprocessing turned on to accelerate rendering. If you have 8GB RAM or less, turn it off.

It could also be that you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering, which doesn't work well. Adobe employees don't use Open GL when they render.

Your preferences file may have become corrupt. I forget how to get rid of the current preferences in AE 8. Like you, I would have to look it up in AE Help.

If none of this helps, you will have to tell us about the changes you made to your computer -- new software, new hardware -- before this problem began.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:10:21 pm

I have no multiprocessing turned on.
I turned off OpenGL, and it still crashed.
I've reset the preferences, still crashed.
I've used the footage in a previous project, and there was no problem.

What's strange, is that if I do anything else than copy-pasting the card wipe effect on another text layer, AE doesn't crash when saving.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:11:50 pm

Oh, and no changes have been made on my hardware/software.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:16:09 pm

Here's a workaround for that that: save your current Card Wipe settings as a favorite; perhaps it's called an effects preset. You find the command in at the top of the effect in the Effect Controls window.

Then apply a new instance of the effect to the desired layer, use the preset, and you should be fine. You won't have to cut & paste, which may be the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:23:27 pm

Did it this way, but AE crashed again.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 6:08:33 pm

Okay, if this doesn't work, I'm out of answers.

Don't apply Card Wipe to a text layer. Apply it to a nested comp, with the text layer inside it. You can make the nested comp the same size as the text layer if you want.

If that doesn't work, I have no clue on any further remedies.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 6:19:54 pm

Ok, thanks anyway.

Aaron Debreczeni

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS3 Crashes on Save
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:03:48 pm

Have you installed the After Effects CS3 (8.0.2) update? If not, then choose Help > Updates and do so. The updates fix a lot of bugs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]