ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a layer 3D moves it far away from current position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew WilsonMaking a layer 3D moves it far away from current position
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:50:17 pm

After a long affair with Motion, I'm beginning to see the light and switching back to my first love, After Effects.

This is probably an easy preference or button click somewhere but searching the forum for "3D" and "layer" produces way to many results to wade through.

I've got a 3D composition and I'm moving the camera around 3D space (using the amazing SureTarget plug in)

When I drop a video clip into the comp it's pretty much right where I want it... until I switch it to a 3D layer, then it jumps to location 0 (or 360, 240, 0 actually)

Is there a way I can make it so when switching the layer to 3D, it stays in the same relative position as the camera sees at the current time?

Thanks!

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Making a layer 3D moves it far away from current position
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:14:26 pm

the problem is likely due to the camera's position.

when a layer is 2d, it is relative to the composition frame that you see in preview. as soon as you make it 3d, it is relative to the 3d camera frame.

you might try switching to multiple viewers in ae (just select one of the '4 views' options at the bottom of the preview window). then you'll see the front, side, top and 3d camera views of the scene that can help you place layers where you want them.

you'll also notice that a 2d layer always faces the front of any viewer, demonstrating the issue of positioning a 2d layer relative to 3d space...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Andrew WilsonRe: Making a layer 3D moves it far away from current position
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 9:49:33 pm

Thanks. I figured out the best way to do it was to take a layer that was already in that neighborhood in 3d space, highlight POSITION, and ROTATION, then copy and paste those properties onto the layer that just moved beck to zero.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]