ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects and stockvideos question?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sjur Zeiner-Gundersen
After effects and stockvideos question?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:50:19 pm

I am thinking of doing a music video and want some cool clips. I was thinking of using stock videos as backgrouds(Like dream backgrounds) and also some scenes. The question is: If I get a good after effects guy on it will he be able to blend the scenes so it looks like one camera? Or will it look really cheesey? Thinking of doing a greenscreen in my apartment, but will th elighting be totally off? Or can most of this be fixed in after effects?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After effects and stockvideos question?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:07:52 pm

Since you can do nothing to change the lighting on the stock clips, you need to match the lighting angles on your green screen shots to match their background.

This is something that rarely can be done in an apartment. It tends to look, in a word, cheesy.

I STRONGLY suggest that you consult with your "good After Effects guy" long before you shoot any footage whatsoever. Explain every little detail of what you're doing. Show him storyboards. Show him the lighting setups you intend to use. Show him the camera you will be using.

This may seem like a lot of needless work at the very beginning. But by identifying trouble spots then, you will save yourself far more work and more time trying to salvage improperly-shot video.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sjur Zeiner-Gundersen
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:56:01 pm

thx for posting!

I was thinking of one scen where I stand behind the door and sing and it fades to light(white)

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-11362539-dream-door-open-hd.php?st=7...

But it I can´t do it right. I won´t do it. I was going to do it in black and white. The whole video. So I won´t have color problems.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:08:21 pm

Since you implied that you may know someone with good skills in After Effects, I would TALK TO THAT PERSON. You will learn more in a fifteen-minute chat than you would in three days of posts.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]