ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Video Wall large format questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopher grassoVideo Wall large format questions
by on Sep 10, 2011 at 9:52:18 pm

Hi guys,

Im new to after effects (I normally use premiere CS5 to do my encoding as generally its in standard formats).

My company just purchased 6 samsung UD55A LEDs, and are setting them up in a 3x2 format. since all are full 1080p, the final resolution will be 5760 x 2160. The company has never had a video wall before, so has no specs or workflow for creating video this big.

Since premiere can't handle this sort of resolution, I turned to AE. As a test, I rendered out 150 tiff images out of 3dsmax at 5760x2160, and imported them as a sequence into AE. The only format that appears to be able to handle such a size is uncompressed AVI, which as you know makes the file size enormous (1+ gig per second of animation).

In a previous thread, many people recommended splitting up the video per screen. Is this done in AE, or would I split my rendered images in PS? (this seems like it would take forever to do and to organize).

From what I could read about the system, it uses an MDC (multiple display control), which includes software from samsung, and links the PC and 6 monitors through serial cables. It looks as if windows sees the system as one giant monitor, but some of the details are lost in translation (my parent company is in Tokyo).

Im new to this and looking for any guidance you guys can offer... Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:05:13 am

> Since premiere can't handle this sort of resolution...

Why do you say that?

See this for information about the maximum dimensions of images that Premiere Pro CS5 and later can handle:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

christopher grassoRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 4:26:02 pm

Thanks Todd, I have clearly been misinformed, I was told that the max size premiere could import was 4k.

When I rendered out the video as Microsoft AVI instead of Uncompressed (out of premiere), the result was 3.5 gigs instead of 6gig for 5 seconds. Since they want videos to play on this video wall that are several minutes long, I fear thats still way too big.

My question remains, to anyone who encodes video to large format video walls, what kind of pipeline do you use? How would one split the video into 6 pieces, and then reassemble it when playing? My animations are in 3dsmax, and I render them out as tiff sequences. To my knowledge, the system will be connected to one pc with 3 high end video cards.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:24:56 am

When dealing with non-broadcast resolution (in terms of pixel size and datarate), you should ALWAYS ask for a 'template' file that will work on the system.

Some of these screen devices may only need you to feed it a standard HD1080 file at a given datarate and the system will internally split the input pixels to fit across any given number of screens that are part of the setup.

I suggest you get back to the suppliers as they know best. For answers here at the COW, you may get more answers here -

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:32:46 pm

I second Roland's recommendation to ask in the Live & Stage Events forum. Those folks have far more experience the the specialized requirements of multiscreen events, and can make valuable suggestions about software, playback systems, etc.

Be prepared with a detailed description of how you anticipate using these monitors.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

christopher grassoRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:36:36 pm

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I have asked for a template and a better explanation of format and size of video based on the system itself. The people from Samsung are harder to get a hold of than Jimmy Hoffa.

I will ask in the forum you suggested, and as I dabble in after effects I shall be back im sure. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Return to posts index

Bang TranRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:13:35 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm in the same stituation you are and wondering how things went for you. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tim McCainRe: Video Wall large format questions
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 4:21:13 pm

Hi I have the same problem right now. My project is 1920x3240. How did it work out for you guys?

Kind regards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved