ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need Workflow Advice Premiere -> AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Ohmit
Need Workflow Advice Premiere -> AE
on Sep 9, 2011 at 2:43:05 pm

Hi all,

I am currently trailing CS5.5 and planning on switching from FCP to Adobe. So far, I have found it pretty intuitive but very inefficient. It's probably just a workflow problem, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The project I am trailing with is a live performance media track for a singer to sing along with and have the video background w/ lyrics on screen for the audience to read. All of the footage is from stock websites. It required that lyrics and transitions be synced up precisely with the rhythm and key points in the song.

I assembled all of the footage w/ audio in Premiere - piece of cake. I added the lyrics in Premiere, but discovered that Premiere really doesn't have many transitions and effects options. Not a problem, I imported into AE, but then discovered that the lyrics I created and aligned on the timeline in Premiere just show up as solid blocks in AE.

So, now I am recreating the lyrics in AE on top of my exported video from Premiere. The problem is, I cannot preview the composition to line up the lyrics I am creating with the audio without doing a RAM Preview. Doing a RAM Preview of 45 seconds of the song (just the chorus) takes about 15 minutes. Then I need to make an adjustment, but it takes another 15 minutes before I can see what I did previewed with audio.

So, I've realized that this isn't going to work, but I'm not sure what to do? How can I preview my composition with audio without waiting forever for a RAM preview? Is there a way I can scrub with audio at least?

Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need Workflow Advice Premiere -> AE
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:29:08 pm

Time to hit the manual!
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Look for "Scrub Audio". You should know that if you hit the Caps Lock key, you can scrub at pretty much any speed you want.

Here's a neat trick: make a solid that runs the length of your comp. Make it invisible by turning off the eyeball switch. Now as you scrub audio, you can put markers on this solid, and you can even make text annotations at each marker. It will make timing out things much, much easier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Sep 10, 2011 at 4:22:56 pm

Thank you, that does help some. By scrubbing with audio I can at least get lyrics lined up properly. But, there are still many effects I need to sync up rhythmically with the song - things that need to occur precisely on a drum beat, that scrubbing doesn't provide a solution for - it really needs to be previewed in real-time.

Is there any way around a RAM preview that would allow for that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 11, 2011 at 1:51:48 am

Nope. RAM Preview's it. That's why I will do a lot of tricky cutting to the beat or to a percussion hit in a video editing application with colored solids. It doesn't even have to be big: 240x180 is fine. You find the color change, you do your AE stuff.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Ohmit
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:37:33 am

ah, ok. that's the kind of trick i was looking for. thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]