ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Ram Rendering Dead Stop.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimi FoxAfter Effects Ram Rendering Dead Stop.
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 3:04:20 am

Hello:

I've had an interesting event take place the last couple of days. Whereas, when rendering in ram a composition, which is 6:18, (as in minutes) long, the rendering came to a complete stop at 5:27. I revisited my steps assuming, I'm sure, that I had errored. Once again the project stopped before it's completion. Only this occasion the stop occurred at 4:53. Now allow me to inform you that besides being a neophyt, of which, I'm sure you surmised. I have not encountered this problem before. However, I've been working on smaller projects spanning the lenght of 3 to 4 minutes.
Finally, I do have a pretty Hefty computer. Its is Intel, Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GH. My Ram is 16GB and the Cashe is 8GB. Hopefully someone out there in AE Jungle, recognizes the error of my ways and can guide me to a more positive conclusion.

Thank you in Advance,

Jimi Fox

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: After Effects Ram Rendering Dead Stop.
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:06:29 am

It sounds like a memory issue. RAM is used in AE for caching frame of the RAM preview but also for undo and other things. If you are working in a high res comp with a high frame rate then your RAM can get eaten up very quickly. Here's a link to a free video workshop that will help you ensure that you have optimised your memory settings correctly for CS5.5;

https://partner.video2brain.com/angietaylor/courses.htm#/?c=1195&t=1

hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Jimi FoxRe: After Effects Ram Rendering Dead Stop.
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:07:32 pm

Dear Ms. Taylor:

With considerable graditute, I thank you for both the input and the link. I find that my journey on this adventure, albeit made in earnest, has at times fallen into belly bursting folly. I however, find that my education has been well supported with the generousity of yourself and Mr. LaRonde.

I have a clearer understanding of the processes and settings of which I have; thoroughly mangled mentaly in my interpetation, assesment and understanding. The help I have recieved, has not taken the curves out of my path, it has however, eleminated the debris from further building up. Always, a step in the right direction...

Thank you for the assist and the link...that was a light that needed to be lit.

Thank you,
Jimi Fox

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Ram Rendering Dead Stop.
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:23:16 pm

You should also know that RAM Previews rarely run as long as yours have in the past. Normally, you define a work area to delineate a suspected trouble spot, and do the preview to see how it looks. If you're trying to view a completed work on a RAM Preview, you're using it the wrong way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:55:50 pm

Thank You Mr. LaRonde:

I truly appreciate your response. If I may sir, ask you this... Should I string together say a project whose time is in the area of 20 minutes and I've tied all the pieces together, rendering where I could to help the process along. ... and added the audio mix created in Audition CS5, what is my expectation of producing a successful completed DVD product that in fact includes audio in-tack.

I suppose that is what is confusing me. I did set up my rendering templates, yet obviously, I'm doing something terribly wrong that my output is silent, (my apologies to Charlie Chaplin).
Other than being very old and forgetful, what is it that has not embeded itself sufficiently in my mind? Thank you in advance for your kindness and your time on this post.

Thank You,
Jimi Fox

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:15:38 pm

These are things that you should be doing in an editing application like Premiere Pro, Vegas, Final Cut Pro or Avid. The process you describe above is tailor-made for an editing application. In an editing application, you montage various pieces of video and audio together as you desire, and you can play back in real time.

You shouldn't try to string together multiple elements in After Effects. You should use it to create effects on specific shots, composite several shots together, color correct a completed edit, etc. After Effects is probably the world's worst editing application. It's horribly slow as an editor.

To answer your question about audio, add your AE comp to the Render Queue (make movie). Open the Output Module. Make sure the check box for audio is checked. But if you assemble all your bits & pieces in an editing application, you may not even need audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:21:09 pm

Dear Mr. LaRonde:
The information you and Ms. Taylor have thus provided, has turned that mirror into a window. I'm beginning to make sense of what it is I need to accomplish and what necessitates re-evaluating, re-adjusting and re-recording.

I did so many things wrong in such a very short time, it is, astounding. However, with the input I've recieved, as well as, all that I continue to read, I can already see a successful journey henceforth.

Already the rewarding results have lifted my desire to continue on with flourishing enthusiasum. I thank you, for that light!

Sincerely,
Jimi Fox

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 2:40:28 pm

You are most welcome, sir.

I'd like to recommend a helpful link for After Effects beginners:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

This has been compiled by the gent responsible for customer contact. Previously he was in charge of compiling the AE online help document. You will find training material from both he and Ms. Taylor at this link.

Be warned: it's put together as a software engineer might think. As every line of code is important in a computer program, you won't find any admonitions such as, "Look at this carefully! This is important!". You'll have to look at everything.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]