ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cannot See Text in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin SmithCannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:42:55 pm

Hello Everyone...
I am an extreme newbe to After Effects 5.5. I have been able to create minor graphics (including text) but nothing too exciting.

However, today, for some reason, when I create a new comp in an attempt to create text graphics, I cannot see the text that I type. I am able to see the Wireframes when I go to View>Show Layer Controls. But, I cannot see the text.

Can someone please help! I have a project due in three days.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:12:28 pm

Double-click on the text layer and look at the Character panel. You'll probably find that one of the settings is way out of line: baseline, kerning, superscript/subscript... something like that. Just fix it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin SmithRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:53:01 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, what I did still didn't make my After Effects Text visible. I double clicked the Text Layer, then in the Character Panel, I selected the reset Option from the drop-down menu.

I see (and can move) the Wireframe of the text, but I cannot see the text. If I click the text tool again, and type within the wireframe, the wireframe expands. This tells me that the text is there and I just can't see it. Do you have any other recommendations?

Should I provide additional information? Let me know.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:36:13 am

I know this may seem obvious but it's caught me out a couple of times. Have you checked that you are in "Active Camera View"? If you are in one of the other views you will not be able to see the text if it is a 2D layer.

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

Karel van GelderRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:42:46 am

Is it possible the text layer is somewhere "out of sight"? You could try right click on the text layer, go to "Transform" and select "Center in view". It should appear in the middle of your screen.

Return to posts index

Bryan ZilarRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:19:23 am

Hi Kevin,

I'm having a similar issue. After using After Effects for several years, I've never had this problem. Thanks, Angie and Karel for the other tips. No luck though. I also tried turing off the OpenGL Preview in the Comp window per a forum response at

Here's a screenshot of what I'm experiencing.

Rendering Factory
Bryan Zilar
Motion Graphic Designer
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Samuel OstlundRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 1:53:19 am

Bryan, I had the same problem. The text width is set a 0% when it should be 100%. It is in the Character box right beneath the drop menu where you have "Fill Over Stroke" selected in your screenshot.

That fixed it for me.

Return to posts index

saketh sharmaRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:45:28 am

plz anybody hlp....whenever i type a text.....i see nuthing a mosaic type of text...lyk this

Return to posts index

Peter ruecktenwaldRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:57:13 pm

I believe your problem is that your image import setting is set to 1 frame. When you create text it abides to the same setting as an image. If your cursor is past the first frame you wont see anything!!!!

Return to posts index

Ben BlandRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 5:27:38 pm

Maybe a few years too late for your problem, buuut... here's what I did to solve this same issue, after trying everyone else's suggestions.

Look at where the playhead is. In my case it was way off somewhere on another part of the timeline, so the composition that I was trying to edit was not visible because it wasn't active at that particular point in the timeline. With the composition open, I just clicked on the Time Ruler at the top of the Timeline and voila, the composition appeared.

Dumb, maybe, but easy to do.

Return to posts index

Phạm LongRe: Cannot See Text in After Effects
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:06:53 pm

Yes, totally true :)

It's so simple, and dumb at the same time.

Just click on timeline (where I was putting my mouse indicator), then the picture and the text will appear again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved