ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Memory problems in AE CS5.5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary RodriguezMemory problems in AE CS5.5
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:40:14 pm

Hello,

I'm starting out with AE and I'm running into a low memory problem. When I animate a property, it takes forever to view the animation changes as I'm adjusting the values. Even when I move a layer with the cursor, the graphics move very slowly. I'm wondering if I need to set something up in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences.

I'm using an iMac with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, with 4 GB of RAM. I know I'm very low on RAM, but I don't think this should prevent me from making changes and interacting with the graphic elements, it should only affect the rendering times.

I would appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Memory problems in AE CS5.5
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:55:42 pm

You're right: 4 gigs is nothing for AE. You don't have to worry about setting up multiprocessing, because you should NEVER use multiprocessing -- you don't have enough memory!

Since you say nothing about the nature of your project, we can only guess at the cause of your problems. Here are a few render-intensive conditions:
  • Really big still images (e.g. 6,000x6,000+)
  • Tons of animated effects stacked on those stills
  • Multiple lights
  • 3-D layers that accept shadows
  • 3-D layers that accept shadows from multiple lights
Anything ring a bell?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mary RodriguezRe: Memory problems in AE CS5.5
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:39:13 pm

I'm doing a demo video for an iPhone app I designed. I'm guessing my problem is the size of the images I'm bringing into AE, I'm working at 1280 x 720.

I need this video for the presentation in my masters thesis. What resolution do you recommend I work with?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Memory problems in AE CS5.5
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:51:08 pm

I suppose it could be the size of your images. But then it's hard to say since you don't state the size of the images.

Don't they give you specifications for the media files you can play back?
What kind of device will be used to play back the completed work? What kind of device will display the completed work. Both have more to say about the size of the AE comp than anything else.

Interesting: I soon will be making a 30-second promo for an iPad App. I figure I'll get approximately 12 1/2 seconds to demo the major compnents. But I already know my delivery specs: 1280x720, 59.94 frames/sec, MJPEG A, PCM audio stereo, 48kHz/24 bits. That's what I put into the station server.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mary RodriguezRe: Memory problems in AE CS5.5
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:21:29 pm

I'm going to playback the video on a 4 year old Dell laptop, this video will work as a support for my presentation, the jury will be evaluating the interface design I made, but I wanted to do the video because I want the extra points for presenting something more professional looking.

I'm going to have to lower the resolution of the video, because the playback of an HD video on that laptop won't work smoothly. Plus, my images are 1280 x 720, too large to handle with my 4 GB of RAM.

So sad...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]