ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video panel collage/montage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Jarvis
Video panel collage/montage
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:45:37 am

I am trying to replicate this comic panel effect but I don't know what it is called:

Notice that the video zooms out to different panels at the end of each clip. Any help on how this was done would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows of any plugin(s) for this effect and could post them that would be great too.

Thx

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Video panel collage/montage
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:37:44 am

The transitions between the clips can be done with simple animations in AE- no plugins involved. You need the comic book pages templates with alpha for the frames. Best to create those in vector format so that you can size with no quality loss. Resize the template to be able to see the whole of it in the comp window. Bring in your footage. Position the two clips you want to transition between under the frame in the template, resize and link to the template layer. The other frames on the page should be filled with stills. Animate from one frame to the next.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:52:45 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. But is it possible to link one video to two separate templates and move it with both them? If you notice at the end when each transition begins, some of the video is still playing. Now if that one is already linked to the previous template then how can it be linked to the next one also?

I'm sure I'm over-complicating this so maybe look at what happens at roughly 00:53 - 1:11 in the video in the first post.

It seems that the same video is linked to two different templates. I didn't notice a cut anywhere. I realize I could cut the video and create a new track and pick up again at the next frame, but I wondered if there is a shorter way to do this. Thx again.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:00:51 pm

[Alex Jarvis] "But is it possible to link one video to two separate templates and move it with both them? If you notice at the end when each transition begins, some of the video is still playing. Now if that one is already linked to the previous template then how can it be linked to the next one also?"

Each of the videos, stills, and the comic book page ("template") itself are separate layers. They can all be linked and animated together, and each element can also be animated separately.

[Alex Jarvis] "It seems that the same video is linked to two different templates. I didn't notice a cut anywhere. I realize I could cut the video and create a new track and pick up again at the next frame, but I wondered if there is a shorter way to do this."

You can swap out one comic book page for another while it's off-screen and the video is full-screen.

I'm guessing from your terminology that you're not very experienced with After Effects. This will all get a lot easier if you review some of the links in Todd's blog post. You won't need to learn all that much about AE in order to achieve the effect you're asking about.

The free Video Copilot Basic Training set of tutorials that Todd links to might make a nice place to start.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:51:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "You can swap out one comic book page for another while it's off-screen and the video is full-screen."

So what you are saying is that it is possible link one layer (video) to two different layers (comic templates) and have them zoom in and out independently of one another? I guess that is the question I am trying to ask.

[Walter Soyka] "I'm guessing from your terminology that you're not very experienced with After Effects. This will all get a lot easier if you review some of the links in Todd's blog post. You won't need to learn all that much about AE in order to achieve the effect you're asking about."

Well I'm certainly no expert, but not an amateur. And judging by the responses here, as well as the blogs you linked to and several searches I did prior to posting here, there doesn't seem to be any specific terminology for this effect.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:08:17 pm

[Alex Jarvis] "So what you are saying is that it is possible link one layer (video) to two different layers (comic templates) and have them zoom in and out independently of one another? I guess that is the question I am trying to ask."

You can parent every element in the scene to a single null object, then animate the null. While you're showing one video full-screen, end one comic book layer, and begin another.

[Alex Jarvis] "Well I'm certainly no expert, but not an amateur. And judging by the responses here, as well as the blogs you linked to and several searches I did prior to posting here, there doesn't seem to be any specific terminology for this effect."

I didn't intend any offense, but given the nature of your question and when you spoke of cuts and tracks (whereas an AE artist would think of splits and layers), I assume you have an editing background, not a compositing background.

I'm with you -- I have no idea what to call this effect. However, it's very easily done with compositing fundamentals: layering, parenting, then keyframing position and scale.

It's like giving directions: no one can tell you exactly how to get where you want to go unless they know where you are now. I have referred you to introductory materials which will explain these concepts in full detail, but if you've got a specific question about anything I mentioned, I'd be happy to discuss it a bit more.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:14:48 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I didn't intend any offense, but given the nature of your question and when you spoke of cuts and tracks (whereas an AE artist would think of splits and layers), I assume you have an editing background, not a compositing background."

Yes you right about my background actually. I'm much more experienced with editing than compositing. And I didn't take any offense to your comment. I'm sorry if my reply came across that way. I was just assuming that between yours and Ted's responses as well as Todd's blog and the several searches I did that there was no specific term for this effect.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:04:05 pm

I'll second Ted's advice.

Animating an element's properties (like position and scale) over time is one of the most fundamental and important concepts in After Effects. If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

AE is both deep and broad, and it's very hard to jump right in without taking a little time to learn fundamental concepts first.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:11:07 pm

[Walter Soyka] You can swap out one comic book page for another while it's off-screen and the video is full-screen.

Ok, I just decided to go at it in AE and I think the above suggestion by Walter was the best way to do this. You don't need to link the video layer to the comic template layers. Just place the video behind the template layers and switch them up when the video layer is in full screen, as Walter said, and use a camera layer to zoom in and out.

I figured I was over-complicating this effect and I was. Thx for the responses Ted and Walter.

Alex

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:57:53 pm

Camera animation will work, too! You might want to use the "Separate XYZ" effect preset, or Video Copilot's Sure Target to make your work easier.

Also, if you're going to do it in 3D, you can add some lights to the scene, too, for a much more dramatic look.

Cheers,

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Sep 6, 2011 at 8:50:43 pm

I will have a look at that VC Sure Target. Thx again for all your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]