ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

can't get moves on photos right

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Laurencecan't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:29:33 pm

I'm pretty new to AE and am using it to redo about 100 moves on photos for a documentary that was edited in Avid. Following directions in Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects by Trish & Chris Meyer it seems pretty simple:

basically you just add the photo to the comp and then use keyframes to move the anchor point in the layer (not the comp), and also use keyframes to adjust scale in the timeline.

But I'm not getting the move exactly right. It seems to zoom in and then go up a little before settling back down on the endpoint of the move. It doesn't match the move in Avid (which is fine except for the resolution). I've looked at the graph but can't figure out why it's doing this.

I've also found instructions on how to do this in this thread, which seems the same as the book. I think I'm following these instructions correctly but still not getting an exact match of the move originally made in Avid:

1) Go to File>New>New Project
2) Go to Composition>New Composition - make the comp the size you want your finished output to be e.g. PAL= 720x576, 25 fps etc.
3) Go to File>Import>File and import the image which you wish to pan.
4) Drag the image file from the Project window to the timeline (Command-/)
5) select the layer and hit the 'A' key to open up it's Anchor Point property.
6) Click on the stop watch to create the first keyframe
7) If you also want to animate Scale, hit Shift-Option-S to also bring up Scale and set a keyframe for it.
8) Move the current time marker to the place in time where you want the next pan to end.
9) Double-click the layer to open it up it's Layer Window.
10) Click on the little black triangle at the top, right of the Layer window and choose Anchor Point path from the Pull-out menu.
11) Place the layer window and comp window side by side.
12) Now all you need to do is to click on the Anchor Point (in the centre of the Layer window) and drag it to where you want the camera to be pointing. A new keyframe will automatically be created each time you move the anchor point.

In that thread there are also directions for animating a 3D camera. Is that a better way to do this? I'm trying to get that to work now.

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: can't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:08:06 pm

i fight a little with the translation...

why are you using the "A" Ancor-point and not the "P" Position?

The way you discribed the things you do sounds ok.
Don´t use the 3D mode, ist overkill for this task.
(more tweeking & more rendertime)

I would do this:
(in sort form)

Make each image a PreComp
Import the PreComps in one "Main"-Comp
Make the Order i need them to be, from top to bottom.
Set the PreComps-Duration to (whatever you need) 4-6 sec.
Trim them there.
(They are still ALL under eachother in the Layers-Panel!!)
Select them all.
Hit "T" for Opacity. (ALL SELECTED)
Make Keyframes from 100 to 0 in 10 oder 15 frames Duration.
(Keyframes should be set on EACH layer!)
Then go to : ANIMATION / Keyframe-Asisstent / SequenzLayers
Set the Overlap to whatever you chose on the Opacity.
Then go trou the video and set the Porition and Scale Kreyframe as every image need´s it.

Maybe i would "Easy-Ease" (Select a Keyframe & "F9" it) but it would dipend on - if it´s needed or not.

So, i hope that helps;)

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: can't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:44:39 pm

Try selecting the keyframes where you're having problems. Then press cmd+opt+k (ctrl+alt+k) -- this brings up the Keyframe Interpolation options. Set your SPACIAL (not Temporal) Interpolation to "Linear." I'm 75% sure this will fix the problem.

My guess is that you have been fiddling around with the Temporal Interpolation (the timing) but not the Spacial Interpolation (the spacing) -- when you're animating position the spacial interpolation data is displayed right in the comp window, but when you're animating the anchor point (which, in most ways, is a better technique when doing zooms and pans on images) the spacial interpolation data only shows up in the LAYER window, so it's not immediately obvious. Setting the Spacial Interpolation to linear fixes the overcorrection that AE often does when doing automatic interpolation.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Trevor LaurenceRe: can't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 7:04:07 pm

Thanks for the answers guys.

Ben, I tried setting the spatial interpolation on the anchor point keyframes to linear as you suggested but it didn't fix it. I thought this was going to work because it sounded right, but the path hasn't changed. The curve is still wrong. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: can't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:16:45 pm

Ben has put you on the right track. There's more information here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:19:25 pm

Try redoing the animation with position keyframes instead of anchor point keyframes. Animating position is a lot more intuitive, and I'd recommend that method to someone who is relatively new to AE.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

Trevor LaurenceRe: can't get moves on photos right
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:46:29 pm

Maybe position keyframes will work in some of these moves. I'll try some. But the reason I was using anchor points instead of position keyframes is that when animating position and scale, layers slide around the frame since layers scale around the anchor point. I need to avoid this since these moves will be used for on-lining the film. I've done this before with Motion but need to use AE for this project.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 10:31:08 pm

It's hard to give more advice without seeing the actual project files. If you upload an AEP file with one of the animating layers that's giving you a problem (CS5 or lower, please) then I'll take a look at for you, let you know what I see. No need to include sources or anything.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved