ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

big picture question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gern blanstenbig picture question
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 3:21:12 pm

So I bought AE CS5 and I'm spending some time learning to use it.

My first project is a wedding video for a friend. I was given some jittery/drunken footage that cleaned up pretty nicely. There are also dozens of photos and I'm trying to make something more interesting than just another slideshow of photos dissolving one after another. This is when I stumbled across this:

These are fun, creative videos. Apart from keyframing these effects is there another way to create some of these ... something a little more automated and less time consuming?

I'm also a little more than a little disappointed AE doesn't have a more mature scripting language. I come from a Flash background where I can and have coded full applications. My expectation is not to code applications with AE, but to have more control over the assets beyond "wiggle." Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for the tips and advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: big picture question
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:42:26 pm

Have you looked at the scripts on aenhancers?

And yeah, perhaps AE's scripting capabilities aren't as good as what you get in flash. But then again, have you ever tried to work in 3D or color grade video in Flash? They're two different applications with two different primary workflows.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

gern blanstenRe: big picture question
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:46:00 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I totally get Flash and AE are different environments and require different tools. Still, keyframing in AE seems unnecessarily tedious to me--mostly why I code all my animations in Flash--they're just easier to change. I'm really just wondering if keframing is the only/best approach to animating in AE.

I'll have a look at aenhancers, too. Thanks for the pointer.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: big picture question
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:03:46 pm

See this page, which introduces the ways to animate in After Effects, including expressions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

gern blanstenRe: big picture question
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:34:01 am

Thank you, Todd. That's a great resource.

I appreciate all the feedback and hope I'm not sounding snarky--I am really just trying to understand the best and most efficient ways of animating with After Effects. It is a very different animal from the Flash I'm used to, but I know AE is a great tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved