ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin FalckLayers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:14:25 pm

I am having an issue where my layers are getting chopped off. I am running Ai and AE in CS5. I brought the layers into my AE composition and it worked perfectly fine at first. They after spending countless hours on my motion graphic I decided that I wanted to add more detail to my artwork. After doing this several of my layers got chopped off when I reloaded the layers. This is extremely frustrating and I am scared I will have to start ALL over again. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 1:06:25 am

If you added the detail in Illustrator, you can have layers that go beyond the boundaries of the document size.
If you inadvertently changed the document's size, that's what you're seeing: Such layers are automatically cut off at the boundaries of the document when imported into AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 8:05:12 am

In Illustrator you can adjust the Artboard size to make sure it accommodates all of the image before importing into AE. Select the Artboard tool, click on the Artboard and either resize it manually to fit around the image, or enter numeric values.

To avoid this happening in the future you can use the Preset artboard sizes as templates when designing your artwork.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Justin FalckRe: Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:55:52 pm

No I dont think it is either of these things. All of the artwork is inside the document as well as the artboard (which I a only using one of). I even went so far as to create a completely new document with just the one layer that is getting cut off in it and this did not help at all either.. UGH sooo frustrating. Any other advice you can think of?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:20:03 pm

Check for an inadvertent track matte or an errant mask.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cathy HamiltonRe: Layers Chopped Off after import from Ai to AE
by on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:38:22 pm

I had that problem, too. Searched high and low and tried various supposed fixes. None worked until I stumbled upon the suggestion to add a stroke around the object that is truncating. It worked. It came into After Effects whole again. Hope this helps someone. (working in CS5, btw)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]