ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

oblong images in AE render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilles Gagnonoblong images in AE render
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:34:11 pm

I'm still having issues with rendering.

Basically I want to craete an AE project which when rendered will be imported in an HD 1080 project.

I set my comp props to HD 1080 but when I render, circles become oblong.

What are the correct settings for the various parameters for what I'm trying to accomplish?

thanks!

Gilles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: oblong images in AE render
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:44:10 pm

What's the horizontal & vertical resolution of your AE comp?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gilles GagnonRe: oblong images in AE render
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:57:07 pm

1440 x 1080 see attached jpg

Gilles

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: oblong images in AE render
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:07:46 pm

Your setup is 1440x1080 with non-square (1.33) pixels. This squished image is appropriate for a number of HD formats -- but they "unsquish" the image before showing it on the monitor. If this is the correct setup (make sure it is!) then you can simply go into your comp's View Options and tick the "Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction" box.

If you want literal 16:9 you'd set your comp to be 1920x1080 and the Pixel Aspect ratio would be "square" or 1.0. This is my preferred way to do it. When it's time to render, if I need to deliver 1440x1080, 1.33, then I set up that comp, nest it, Cmd+Opt+F (Ctrl+Alt+F) to fit to screen, then render away.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:49:49 pm

Thanks Ben, bare with me, I'm new to AE and HD.

I'm creating an animation which will be included in post in a project shot in HD, widescreen, on my Panasonic HMC-150. In Vegas, I set my project to 1440x1080, 1.3333 (HDV 1080).

So.. I want to make an AE project that when rendered, will simply be dropped into my Vegas project.

Back to your instructions...I'm still confused.

in my current comp, if I don't toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction, things appear squished. when I don't things look great in AE but squished in the rendered file.

In AE i can't find a setting for 1920x1080, did you mean for me to force it? ie. change the setting manually?

G

Gilles

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:45:50 pm

I was thinking that you change it manually, actually. But don't worry about it looking squished in quicktime player -- just make sure it looks correct in the editing timeline next to the original footage. That's what counts. Have you taken your render all the way through the process (into AE, animate, render, into editing timeline, export from editing timeline)?

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:03:04 pm

Hi again Ben,

Thanks for the tip about the look in the player. It worked just fine when imported in the Vegas timeline next to the HD footage.

SO I understand, do you know why the footage is squished in the player?

thanks again,

Gilles

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2011 at 9:54:19 pm

It's about compression and codecs. Different flavors of video compression require different frame sizes and, sometimes, frame rates. One of the common ways to save space is to create a file that is squished in one direction ("anamorphic" images) and then to stretch it on playback. That way they don't have to compress so much image, but still get the HD size.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2011 at 1:02:25 am

Got it. Thanks!

Gilles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]