ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Comp settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josefine GustavssonComp settings
by on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:03:13 pm

I have an existing animation that I need to adapt to the following specs:

Aspect ratio: 16:9 anamorphic and needs to be PAL format.
A full screen image is delivered at 1024 x 576.

The original comp settings for my animation is 16:9, square pixels. 1280 px x 720 px.

As far as I understand I need to set up a new comp and import a .mov file of the animation into it. However the anamorphic setting is really confusing. How do I solve this without ending up with a distorted animation?

Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Comp settings
by on Aug 20, 2011 at 7:45:50 pm

AE has presets for things like PAL anamorphic. If you already have a 16:9 video, you should set up the comp using AE presets, drop in your video, then press command+opt+F (ctrl+alt+F on PC) to fit your video to the screen.

Pal is 720x576. In theory you'd create a 16:9 animation at 1024x576 then squish that horizontally to fit the 1024 into the 720. You will be squishing vertically as well as horizontally, but that shouldn't matter unless you have fields in your video, but I don't think you will with a 1280x720 video.

The only other possible problem is if your video is running at 24fps, as PAL runs at 25fps. Two options here:
1. Interpret your footage (command+opt+G / ctrl+alt+G) and set the fps to 25fps. Make sure this doesn't mess up any of your audio, though. Also you should note that this will make your video a little bit shorter....
2. Just drop your 24 into the 25. Every 24th frame will fill two frames. Depending on the nature of your video, this may or may not disrupt the flow of things.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved