ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Wynn
After effects to DVD
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:50:29 pm

Hi,

I have a project that is HDTV 1080 1920 x 1080 29.97fps.

What are the best render settings for DVD? The screen I will be displaying on has a resolution of 1680 X 1050, should I change my comp settings to this or will it automatically re size?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After effects to DVD
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:06:54 pm

I'll bet you're using a DVD player of some kind for playback. In which case, you have to follow some hard and fast rules to make material for DVD authoring.
ALL authored DVD's in NTSC-Land are 720x480. Every single one of 'em. They can be widescreen or 4x3, but they're all 720x480.

I recommend nesting your HD comp into a comp made by using AE's DV NTSC Widescreen comp Preset, and taking it from there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christian Wynn
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:49:44 pm

Hi Dave thanks for your response. I will be using a DVD player however I am in the UK so will be using PAL, I assume the rules are different?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 17, 2011 at 4:38:51 pm

Almost every PAL DVD player ever built can also play NTSC DVDs. If you don't want to take the chance that it wouldn't play, you have an extra hoop to jump through.

Convert the 29.97 footage to 25 fps using the frame rate conversion software of your choice. It will do a much better job than AE would all on its own. When done, you can use the AE nesting trick, but with a DV PAL Widescreen comp preset.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:20:00 pm

Another suggestion would be to play it through a computer rather than a DVD player. That way you can render a higher resolution file that matches the projector rather than blowing up the 720x576 DVD image.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:26:16 pm

Here's a link in Help that may assist you: Working with After Effects and Encore: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]