ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 is filling up my startup disk.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ethan gallo
AE CS5 is filling up my startup disk.
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:08:05 pm

Hey all,

Newcomer to the forums here. Here's my problem. Im using After Effects CS5. The machine i'm on currently is a macbook pro 2.3 core2duo with 3 gig of ram. AE keeps filling up my startup disk regardless of me setting the database and cache to an external with 1.5Tb free. Does AE keep other files somewhere on my local disk or am i just missing something stupid?

For now I'm just cleaning up my hard drive to free space as it fills (which i suppose is a good side effect of this ordeal) but any advice to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: AE CS5 is filling up my startup disk.
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:25:38 pm

What makes you think it's AE that's filling up your startup disk? What sort of files are you seeing?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:34:09 pm

Well, AE and safari are the only 2 things running and my disk space went from 2.5 gb free (which granted isn't a whole ton) to 200ish mb over the course of a few hours of rotobrushing without actually exporting anything from AE or creating any other files from anything else. Safari was streaming music and safari obviously has a cache running as well but that's a way huge amount of space for a web browser cache to take up so I figured it was AE. Also disk cache is disabled in AE prefs, so that's not it either. I'm kind of baffled. I'm used to encountering these types of problems in FCP due to a careless capture scratch setting or similar goings on, but as I am a relitavely newish AE user I wasn't sure if there were any other active folders that needed to be set to an external.

Thanks for the quick response by the way.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:47:54 am

What about you media cache?

BTW, you really, really need to be working with a larger hard disk (preferably multiple). A nearly full hard disk is a performance destroyer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:56:41 am

Like I said, my startup disk is quite on the full side. I never ever use drives like this as working drives. The startup disk is for personal data. I am working off of a FW800 external with 1.5tb of free space. No worries. All of my AE files are on said external, so I think it is AE dumping clips somewhere onto my startup disk by default.

Ethan Gallo-

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:38:52 pm

p.s. i am not seeing actual files being created anywhere but am rather assuming it's AE dumping files somewhere that I do not know about.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:15:15 pm

I'd double-check the size of the AE project file. I know that Warp Stablizer can create huge file sizes, but Rotobrush may as well... or perhaps store Rotobrush data on your drive.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:18:23 pm

Hmmm, the project is only 37 mb and is also stored on my external. Where might I look for the rotobrush data to see where it is being stored?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:20:31 pm

dunno. Like you, I'd have to look it up in AE's online Help using a handy search term. rotobrush, perhaps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:21:58 pm

Will do. Thanks for the advice gents.

Ethan Gallo-

Return to posts index

Ryan Pardeiro
on Mar 6, 2012 at 11:55:39 pm

Hi Ethan,

Did you ever come to a specific conclusion on this issue? I am having the same problem and can't seem to find an answer. I'm also a bit new to adobe products. Coming from FCP. I'm actually using Premiere Pro CS5.5 but the problem is the same. I've routed every scratch disk, media cache and database cache I can find to my external drive but every time I render or even try to export video to my external drive it fills up the startup disk on my mac. I've lost gigs and gigs of space to this issue that I can't seem to get back. I've deleted as much as I can off the startup disk to keep working and I've run out of things to delete. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:39:24 am

Hi Ryan,

If I understand correctly you're having the same issue, only with Premiere Pro CS5? If so, I did find a workaround. After researching the issue i found that a lot of users of Premiere have also been plagued with this problem. I too am primarily a FCP 7 user and capture scratches, render caches etc have always been easy to set up which is why it Premiere was driving me nuts when I was considering switching. What I had to do was start a new project, let Premiere have its way with setting the scratch disks to default (UserName/Documents I think) then once I have the new project open, change the scratch info in preferences and go from there. I cant remember if I saved my old project to XML and then re-imported in the blank project, or if it let me copy sequences. But either way, using this method seemed to set things properly on my system, working off of an external. I was considering switching from FCP to Premiere permanently, but its still a little too buggy for me. I'll use it when I'm working on a project that has a lot of After Effects elements to take advantage of Adobe Dynamic Link, but other than that I'm sticking with FCP for now. So give the above suggestion a try. It worked for me, it may work for you, but no guarantees. I don't know if Adobe addressed the issue in CS 5.5 but I know with 5 a lot of users were getting mixed results with workarounds.

Ethan

Ethan Gallo-

Return to posts index

Ryan Pardeiro
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:22:31 pm

Thanks for the response Ethan. I'll give your suggestion a try but it leaves me with one more question. Did you ever figure out where these seemingly invisible render files are being kept? Assuming I switch to a new project and that stops any new files filling my startup disk, what about all the old files that filled the disk up to this point? Where can I find them to delete them off the drive and get my storage space back? Over the course of the couple of months that I've been working on this current project I fear I've lost quite a bit of storage to this problem. I'd hate for that to be permanent just because I can't find these files and delete them.

Ryan

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:21:40 am

I never did for after effects. Premiere usually tries to default all of your files to Macintosh HD/users/username/documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/5.0

Ethan

Ethan Gallo-

Return to posts index

Ryan Pardeiro
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:02:17 pm

Ok thanks. I already checked there and didn't find the offending files. But after trying your trick Premiere does seem to be getting all the files onto the external drive... so far. Thanks again Ethan.

Ryan

Return to posts index

ethan gallo
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:29:19 pm

No problem. Glad to be of help.

Ethan

Ethan Gallo-

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Schweinberg
on May 8, 2012 at 9:19:54 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue and am trying to figure it out. It's not After Effects but OS X itself. We've run out of RAM and so the operating system is writing to swap files on the disk instead of to RAM. Upgrade your ram or move the location where OS X writes it's swap files: http://superuser.com/questions/28414/moving-the-swapfiles-to-a-dedicated-pa...

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Schweinberg
on May 8, 2012 at 9:26:33 pm

You might want to try turning off Multiprocessing as well.

Return to posts index

Ryan Pardeiro
on May 9, 2012 at 12:23:29 am

Yikes that looks like it's a little over my head. I always get scared going into terminal, that I'm gonna destroy my OS accidentally or something. But I'm wondering if this "swap file" cache is something that can just be flushed all together rather than simply moving it to a partition. Premiere hasn't been giving me this problem after making the changes previously suggested by Ethan. All I'm concerned about now is trying to regain lost hard drive space.

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Schweinberg
on May 9, 2012 at 1:02:49 am

I hear that man, though terminal isn't as scary as you think =}

It's wiped every time you re/start your computer, that's one way of clearing it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]