ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rounded rectangles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Pedersenrounded rectangles
by on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:03:21 pm

hey all
New to the forum so let me know of mistakes.
Im working on a video project where i have to make a row of rectangles with rounded edges with gradient on the faces(sides). On the front of these rectangles there has to be video or images playing and fading to a symbol.
I've browsed around the internet seeing if i could find the optimal way of doing this but no immediate succes. I've already tried the square 3d tutorial in after effects. Makes a square in after effects by using squares in x,y,z space rotate around a common anchor point.
Any ideas of how i should proced? Do i need to grab hold of a 3d program? and what would be the time estimate of this?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: rounded rectangles
by on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:37:57 pm

You can easily have video playing on the face of something that then changes to a symbol. Do that in a precomp.
To create 3d boxes with rounded edges, make a rectangle shape in AE. Make it 3d. Duplicate it. Move it back a pixel or two in z space. Repeat that process until you have all the depth you need. You can parent all the layers for each box to a single null object for easy animation. Pro tip: unlink the scale property and play with the z-scale and watch what happens.

If you've got the budget for it, Mettle's new plugin called Shapeshifter just came out. It looks fantastic. I haven't had time to play with it yet,

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved