ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Circular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer BaileyCircular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:26:43 am

Hey guys,

I've seen this video many times and I've been completely stumped on how to animate this inside of after effects. I'm pretty sure it's created with multiple masks, some additive and others differenced, but I can't ever seem to get it right. Here's the video, could anyone help explain/walk me through the technique breifly? (not looking for you to hold my hand but rather give me a little guidance)

(the specific technique I'm look at is when she says "Look a little closer" as the united states is revealed.

Thanks so much, I'll finally be able to sleep peacefully once I figure it out, I'm sure I'm making it harder than it is.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Circular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:40:22 pm

if you want circles, i think i'd try using the circle effect... it would be easier to control the circle effect rather than multiple masks.

then it comes down to how you want to build the reveal... you could build the reveal to be used as a track matte (either alpha or luma), or possibly to be used with the set matte (or similar) effect. in that case your circle reveal animation would probably be in a precomp that's nested in the comp with the layer to be revealed.

or you could use the circle effect, setting it's effect property blending mode (not the layer blending mode) to stencil alpha to create a reveal. however, if you need/want multiple circles to create the reveal (as in the example), then you'll need to duplicate the layer with the circle effect and modify the animating circle -- you can't have multiple circle effects all working with stencil alpha on... well... you can, but it gets more complicated, and it depends a bit on how your layer is...

lets say your layer to be revealed is not just a flat color and has an alpha channel that you want to keep... you'd set the first circle effect's blending mode to none, the all subsequent circle effects to normal. this is drawing only the circles, and you wouldn't be seeing the original layer. so then, you'd add the original layer back in with the cc composite effect first set to 'stencil alpha' (to add the original alpha to the circles), then with another set to 'in front' (to add the texture/fill portion).

the advantage is that it may be easier to work with the timing of the circles for the reveal if it is all in one comp and on one layer. fi you need another circle, just add it after the first circle effect and before the cc composite effects and make sure the effect blending mode is set to normal.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Spencer BaileyRe: Circular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:57:01 pm

Kevin,

Thank you so much! I'll try the circle effect and post back here with the results.

Spencer

Return to posts index

Spencer BaileyRe: Circular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:02:29 pm

Kevin, once again thank you so much, I'm using circles with multiple stencil alphas as you said would be complex, but it produced the effect I wanted!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Circular Mask Wipe/Reveal Technique
by on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:55:41 pm

cool....

another advantage of getting it all on one layer, is you can select those effects and any keyframed properties for the layer/effects and create a preset (animation>save animation preset).

then you can easily apply it to any layer as needed.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]