ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How Do I Keyframe a Clip's Position?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaiah Bugarin
How Do I Keyframe a Clip's Position?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:38:12 pm

I'm trying to edit 2 videos in AE. I want to add a cool transition from video1 to video2 in which the camera turns and looks at a window and video2 is set in the window. In order to do this, though, I need video2 to be in one position in one frame and a different position in the next. How would I keyframe this?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How Do I Keyframe a Clip's Position?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:27:33 pm

I don't understand your question. Your description of the effect you're trying to achieve doesn't sound like what your question is asking for. Could you perhaps offer up a sketch of what you're looking for or a bit more of an explanation?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:49:07 pm

I agree with Michael that what your trying to do is unclear, but will try to answer anyway ... set a position keyframe for video2 at the first position, change it to a "hold keyframe", move the playhead to the time you want video2 to be in the next position, move video2 to that position (inside the window), set another position keyframe for video2 at that position and change that keyframe to a hold keyframe.

On a more general note, it seems it may be beneficial to spend some time with some learning materials for AE ... it is not a program that one just open ups, clicks around on a few things and masters. No offense intended ... the intent is only to save you a lot of frustration, headaches and wasted time.

Return to posts index

Isaiah Bugarin
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:54:58 pm

Thank you for trying, but what I meant was how do I set a keyframe for the position of a clip. I was wanting to be able to have clip2 of a pretty small size and move it around to various positions in clip 1.

For example, let's say I had a video (which I'll call video1) of me walking through a kitchen. I want to be able to keep clip2's position next to the toaster the whole time.

I was wanting to use motion tracking to do this, but it didn't work out due to bad lighting.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 5, 2011 at 12:49:55 pm

You can still use motion tracking in AE. You just may have to manually adjust the tracking point on each frame. It's an easier way to place your layer precisely in place. Next time you'll know to light it better!

Have you tried using Mocha to do your motion track? It's not a point tracker at all, so it should be able to handle your poorly lit footage much, much better than the AE point tracker. Mocha is a very different beast and a whole application unto itself, so be sure to read up on it and follow some tutorials to understand it.

And I still don't understand your problem. Do you not understand how to animate a layer's position? You click the stopwatch for the layer's position and then any time you move it, it creates a keyframe.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]