ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask doesn't work when effect is used

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan SchneiderMask doesn't work when effect is used
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:05:22 pm

I am trying to use a mask, but the moment I add CC Wide Time, the mask stops working. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mask doesn't work when effect is used
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:17:49 pm

Precompose the layer with the mask and apply CC Wide Time to the precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dan SchneiderRe: Mask doesn't work when effect is used
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:31:08 pm

Wow, thanks. Now I feel stupid. I'm still new to AE. Although I would like to know why AE makes you do that and can't apply them both in the same comp. What you said is an easy fix, but it means that I now have to make a precomp for all the videos I want to use the effect on, which means 10 more compositions.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mask doesn't work when effect is used
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:29:40 pm

"...but it means that I now have to make a precomp for all the videos I want to use the effect on..."
That depends on how you want to mask them. You might be able to simply use a track matte. [link]

"...Although I would like to know why AE makes you do that and can't apply them both in the same comp...."
It has to do with rendering order. Masks are rendered before effects, but CC Wide Time doesn't have any idea that a mask is there. Effects like CC Wide Time work on the layer itself, so it applies the video information to the layer it's been given. Some effects (such as blur) will work in the manner you're expecting on a masked layer because of the nature of the effect, but others (such as CC Particle World) won't. Does that make sense? If not, try looking for more information on rendering order.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]