ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Max RAM usage in After FX CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher KechichianMax RAM usage in After FX CS5
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:53:27 pm

Hello all,

I want to know if there's a way to make after effects CS5 use all the RAM for rendering. I have a macbook pro with 4GB ram and while it renders the max it gets is 58% of RAM usage.
I know that it's risky to do that, maybe other applications won't work because the system will be using all the power but i don't have a problem with that.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Max RAM usage in After FX CS5
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:21:43 pm

[Christopher Kechichian] "I know that it's risky to do that, maybe other applications won't work because the system will be using all the power but i don't have a problem with that."

Sometimes AE doesn't HAVE to use all the RAM available to it. That's probably what you're seeing.

One way to get AE to use more RAM is to enable multiprocessing... but there's a problem. It takes a minimum of 2 GB per core for multiprocessing to work well. You only have 4 gigs, so that's out: even with all alpplications closed, you wouldn't have enough memory for the operating system!

You're kind of stuck where you are at the moment.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Max RAM usage in After FX CS5
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:15:14 pm

With 24GB RAM, 8 cores with 2GB assigned per core, I've never been able to get more than 12% on a render.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]