ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil GrunshawLinear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:58:09 pm

Hi

I'm currently finishing up a big Cinema 4D project, compositing the final renders in AE. I'm using Linear Workflow in both apps. My problem is thus - I need to check my final output on a JVC DTV broadcast monitor connected to my Mac Pro via a Kona card. However, I can't figure out a way for the monitor to interpret the AE linear space correctly, the image on the JVC is far too dark. Any ideas? The only workaround I've found so far is rendering out quicktimes then checking them using AJA TV to play them through the broadcast monitor but that's a right pain...

Any help welcome!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Linear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 9:06:12 pm

Depending on how your machine is set up, you can change the video preview to your AJA card in AE preferences. When you ram preview, it may not be at full speed, but you can switch back and forth from the video monitor to the computer in preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil GrunshawRe: Linear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 9:21:13 pm

Hi Dave

Yeah, I've used a broadcast monitor with AE literally thousands of times over the years and everything is as it should be when it comes to RAM previews and such but my problem lies with using linear workflow e.g.: when you view a .tif sequence that has been rendered from c4d using a linear colour space without setting the app to the linear space the image appears much darker than it actually is. My AE comp is set to a linear colur space so all looks fine and dandy in AE on the Mac monitor but the broadcast monitor isn't interpreting the linear colour space so the image appears darker. Get what I mean?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Linear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:08:05 pm

There are so many places where color profiles and interpretations can creep up and bite your footage that I dare not dive too deeply here.

All I can suggest is trying different "Simulate Output" settings under the "View" menu, and possibly even turning off (drastic measures, I know) "Use Display Color Management."

An alternative would be to create an adjustment layer at the top of your comp for preview purposes only. Apply "Color Profile Converter" to it, leave the "Input Profile" alone and set the "Output Profile" to match your project's current color profile, but leave "Linearize Output Profile" unchecked.

This will probably make the image on your computer display look even brighter, but the image on your broadcast monitor should be just right.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Neil GrunshawRe: Linear Workflow - getting it to display correctly on a broadcast monitor
by on Aug 4, 2011 at 8:52:39 am

Darby - thanks so much! The Colour Profile adjustment layer trick you suggested has provided a suitable workaround. AWESOME!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]