ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyframe + Time= confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miller dillerKeyframe + Time= confusion
by on Jul 30, 2011 at 7:39:41 pm

Hi,

I am losing it as I am trying to figure out how to increase the speed of a clouds sequence while keeping the duration at 4 minutes.
For some reason the clouds move extremely slow when i have a keyframe on the 4th minute. Is there a way to keep the speed of the clouds fast while the sequence is 4 minutes? The clouds only move fast when I drag the last keyframe to about 7 seconds on the timelime. Thanks

Pic: http://s4.postimage.org/sr1la44rh/example.png

Return to posts index

miller dillerRe: Keyframe + Time= confusion
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 2:06:15 am

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with the question.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Keyframe + Time= confusion
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:14:14 am

Hi there,

I presume you are animating the clouds by adjusting the Position value? If so, there are two possible ways of increasing the speed between the keyframes, either as you've done, by dragging the keyframes closer together, or. . . by simply adjust the Position Values so that the clouds have a further distance to travel between the two keyframes. The farther and object has to travel within a fixed time, the faster it will go.

Hope this helps?

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Keyframe + Time= confusion
by on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:15:15 pm

An alternative that may end up being too restrictive, but that I often use in scenarios like this one, would be to move your last keyframe to 7 seconds (or wherever you like the speed of the movement) and then apply this expression to the animated property:

loopOut("continue");

This will take the rate of change at the last keyframe and extend it out to the end of time! FAST CLOUDS FOREVER! :)

However, that's the reason that it's somewhat restrictive, you are relying on the expression to continue the animation, and if you decide that you want the clouds to slow down or stop moving... welp, the expression won't let you without some hefty and likely arcane changes.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

miller dillerRe: Keyframe + Time= confusion
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:22:57 am

Thank you to all for the tips! Darby Edelen's tip worked out perfect! I was using Fractal noise for clouds and the offset turbulence value is was where i had the issues. Awesome expression Darby, thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keyframe + Time= confusion
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 9:04:09 pm

[miller diller] "I am trying to figure out how to increase the speed of a clouds sequence while keeping the duration at 4 minutes."

As Angie alluded to, the request is a little confusing because we don't have sufficient information on what you're doing.

If this is stock footage, you could double the speed of the clouds via time remapping, overlapping layers, and animating opacity to create a loop.

If you're making the clouds yourself, you need to make more clouds. You're using them up too quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]