ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

work flow?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle weatherbywork flow?
by on Jul 30, 2011 at 1:40:26 am

I am new to adobe and new to digital medium in general, I am working on my very first project, I am trying to find the best work flow and how to execute the workflow when using priemier pro and after effects (both cs5) together. The problem I am having is as flows. I have done all my editing in premier now I need to do the effects and color correction and color grading. So i did my color correction in premier first, then I used the replace with after effecs composition feature in premier and the clip goes into after effects, I do my effects then the the clip renders in premiere then I go on to the next clip so I have 45 clips in after effects under one project.

Hears the problems I am having with this work flow, first when I import a clip into after effects using the replace with after effects composition all my color correction is gone, so I have to do it again in after effects, when I craft the effects they are 100% in after effects but when I view the clip in premier sometimes the effects don't line up for example, some of the muzzle flashes I made are off from the end of the gun so I have to go back into after effects and line the effect off in after effects and so it lines up in premiere going back and forth like this takes forever, now the footage is in 1080p and the effects are in 720p the 1080 footage is at 16:9 i don't know what the aspect ratio of the effects footage, how do I fix this problem without painstakingly going back and forth between after effects and primer to line effects up, where do i go on the interface to change settings? The way I have been doing it I will have to go to replace with after effects composition for every clip in my project so i will have hundreds of clips in after effects all out of order because they are organised in sequence from when they where imported so all my effects clips will be first flowed by my other clips to do color correction and color grading. The entire thing is a mess. I went on line and tried to find a tutorial on how premier and after effects work together but nothing is answering any of my questions i tried using adobe dynamic link in after effects to import premier sequence but all it dose is import the sequence as one long clip.

What is the proper work flow when using premiere and after effects together, how can I solve these problems and start to gain proficiency instead of going in circles and feeling like i am working with chains warped around my hands, I purchased the programs because they are supposed to work together and i am sure they do if i can get it to work because they sure are'nt cheep lol, its been amazing working with them when i wasn't pullig my hair out I was able to create things I never thought I could especial with only having the programs for a few weeks I want to get better :) adobe is incredible but not very friendly for new users. If there is a kind gentlemen or lady out there who can help I will be forever in your debt.

Return to posts index

Richard HarringtonRe: work flow?
by on Jul 30, 2011 at 2:25:39 am

I have 3 books that tackle Adobe workflow

An Editor's Guide to Premiere Pro
Video Made on a Mac
Motion Graphics Studio Techniques

All are on Amazon and from Peachpit Press

Hope they help

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: work flow?
by on Jul 30, 2011 at 6:05:06 am

The issues you're having don't sound like a specific question that can be answered in a forum post. Richard's books are very good and you will likely need them ... or at least some of the very many resources available for all Adobe software. It is important to understand that you're not having trouble getting things done because something is wrong with the software ... almost all Adobe software is designed primarily for professionals so trying to learn it without any sort of training or guidance leads to nothing more than a lot of frustration and wasted time ... as it sounds like you are finding out the hard way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved