ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d object in precomp not rendering rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Arani3d object in precomp not rendering rotation
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59:09 pm

Here is my set up. I am wanting to take the state of california and break it away from a map of the US move it forward in Z space while rotating.
I have the main comp "california ONLY" that contains all the precomped "States"
Here is how they are built "States"
I have built the US with each state as its own precomp. Within each precomp I have the state set with the following expression attached to the position - value+[0,0,index] then I duplicated the layer 12 times. It gives a nice depth to the state.

So last night I realized I want to take all the "states" except for california and precomp them so that I can move the whole US in z space with one set of keyframes. (I hope you are following my logic).
So I moved California and the rest of the US. Looks great. But If I moved the anchor point to make the CA rotation correct....nasty looking. So I thought if I open CA's precomp and add a camera I could attach the anchor point to the edge of the coast and rotate nice and clean. Within this precomp it looks PERFECT...
when I move back the the main comp and run thru the animation CA does not rotate. I have double checked that the keyframes are in the right places on the time line and the collapse transformation button is clicked on...but no rotation....
Any hints as to why this may happen?

Thanks - and sorry it was so long.

Jennifer Arani

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d object in precomp not rendering rotation
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 5:03:46 pm

AE won't see the camera in your precomp. It will only see the camera in the main comp.

Let's say you make a 3D precomp, put it in the main comp, and turn on the Collapse Transformations switch. It becomes a 3D object, with an anchor point of (precomp horizontal resolution/2, precomp vertical resolution/2, 0). So if you want to rotate California around a point on the coast, you have to position the layers in the precomp appropriately.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved