ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing unwanted things from a reflection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Brine
Removing unwanted things from a reflection
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:46:54 pm

Hello all,

right, I have a row of small clips, they were shot in a still train, but the train is supposed to be moving. this is where i come in.

So i have been using after effects for a few weeks now, i jumped into this project without ever having used it before. and this is just one of the parts i have to fix.

I say this so you understand that i know next to nothing about aftereffects and post-processing in general. though i have an ok understanding of 3d stuff.

Anyway. so far i have masked out the windows. and added a spare shot of the forest, and have it flying past the window, so far so good.

However, through the glass in the original shot there is a static tree. that is intergrated into the reflection of the persons within the train.

How do i keep the parts of the reflection that i need for the interior. but loose the tree that i can see through the window??

thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

JOsh

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Removing unwanted things from a reflection
on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:17:50 pm

It doesn't sound like the talent moves in front of the windows, so you don't have any rotoscoping work to do.
Unfortunately, nobody PLANNED for reincorporating the reflections into the shot, so it wasn't shot properly. It could have been shot with black background outside the train windows, for example.

You could have then masked the windows out on one layer. Then you could have duplicated the layer, inverted the masks and used a blend mode over the animated background to recreate the reflection.

Without a screen shot, it's tough to tell what you face; it might be possible to do what you want, but it might be impossible as well.

There is one thing you can do for sure, and it doesn't require a screen shot: plan the shot out and re-shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh Brine
on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:31:26 pm

Hey thanks for the swift response. i really appreciate your help.

so a reshoot is out of the quesstion, as it was shot a while ago with a redcam which we no longer have.

this is our first project and yes many mistakes were made. as you said planning this would have been helpful lol

the talent does indeed cross the window, and i have created the window mask around her shape. again i must say that i have little idea what i am doing in this field. but nevertheless i am the one doing it.

Essentially we need the inside reflection without the outside tree. i have masked out the windows using a solid and creating an 'alpha matte' i believe its called. it is animated to go around the talent as she sits down and looks out the window. this part i have managed ok i believe.

picture a camera in the middle isle of a train, shooting towards one side where the seats are. there is a faint reflection we need of the talent. and then there is a static tree in the background.

is there a way to recreate the reflection? or clone/mask/remove, the tree with minimal damage to the reflection? as the tree is in the more transparent part of the reflection.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:27:24 pm

You can TRY to fake reflections by duplicating the masked footage, masking around the talent in question, turning the layer into 3D, putting it just above the animated background of trees, and applying a blend mode. Use the 3D layer's rotation to distort the image, and it MIGHT work.

I have to tell you though, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]