ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cant render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tre MalcolmCant render
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:29:02 pm

Simply put, Ive only encountered this problem in the past 2 weeks.
I used to be able to render files fine with little to no problems. But now no matter what render settings i use, uncompressed to xvid to mpeg4 etc. I get a render error in the first 10 seconds usually instatly.

I dont seem to be getting an error code in my log eitheir unless im msising it. The render screen tells me the render has failed.

Please help, i cant render ANYTHING. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cant render
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:04:26 pm

If you have a version of After Effects EARLIER than Version 10 (aka CS5), your luck in rendering Xvid may have just run out. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Cant render
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 8:15:11 pm

When in doubt, trash your AE preferences - next time you start up After Effects, hold down the Command + Option + Shift keys (Mac) or Control + Alt + Shift (Windows), and you are presented with an option to delete the preferences.

Sucks because you will lose your settings, but rules because it can fix a lot of weird problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved