COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lohit malviyaDoubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:09:03 am

(sorry for bad English)
Hello Masters,
Thanks for reading my query
I have two questions
My first question is that ,i have a after effects composition which has some 3d extrusions on text and some light effects and multiple slides.
and while rendering i takes 2 hours 20 min(2 GB ram).after Google about render time i found that some people wrote that for getting fast render "just add ram in your system" so i added 2 gb more ram ( now it become 4 gb) even though while rendering same compostion with same settings there is no change in render time.

My second question : even the composition is same sometime it takes 2 hours and sometime it takes 3.5 hours , in this case what may be i am doing wrong so that after effects is taking longer time to render

Thanks for your interest
Creative cow masters are my favorite place to have a fully satisfactory answers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Doubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:25:49 pm

We need to know the version of After Effects you use, your operating system and details about the processors in your machine.

I can tell you this: 4GB RAM may seem like it's a lot, but for After Effects it's almost nothing. I have AE 10.5, and to use it on my dual quad-core machine at home, I have 24 GB RAM. I could have gotten less, but I had a choice to make: get 12 gigs or 24 gigs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Doubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:03:42 pm

the best way to tell if more ram will help speed up your renders is to look at the processes and cpu usage. there are many utilities that can monitor these, but even task manager (win) or activity monitor (osx) will show you the basic info, and they are both included with their respective os.

essentially, if while rendering you see the cpu levels are high, then adding more ram may not improve performance much. if cpu levels are low, then adding more ram may help performance, particularly if you can monitor ram usage and see that when cpu levels are low, the ram is very full.

if you have multiple cores, then more ram can also allow you to use ae's multiprocessing option (the option to 'render multiple frames simultaneously'). but 4gb is not enough to use multiple cores very well... then best you could do would be to try 2 cores, and you'd need to limit those cores to about 1gb each. this is something you could try, but you may end up with lower performance than not enabling multiprocessing. (note that many processes in ae are natively multi-threaded and as such will use multiple cores regardless of the 'render multiple frames simultaneously' setting.)

the general rule for multiprocessing is min 2gb of ram per core, up to about 10-12 cores max, so as far as ae is concerned, 24gb is about the most it will use. however the os, and any other open applications also needs ram... for a 64-bit os, you'd probably like another 8gb to keep it running smoothly.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Doubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:48:06 pm

See this page for information about memory and improving performance in After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

lohit malviyaRe: Doubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:04:42 am

i have :
after effects cs5
windows vista ultimate ,64 bit,
Pentium dual core cpu E5300 @2.60ghz
Ram 4 GB

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Doubled the Ram But same render time
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 2:07:46 am

4GB is a very small amount of RAM for using After Effects.

See this video for an overview of practical system requirements:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5351.htm

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]