ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem rendering movie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jo H. KiranProblem rendering movie
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 10:46:28 am

I'm new to After Effects, and having some problems with a project I'm working on..

It's a fairly simple project, just some tracking and replacing elements in a video clip.

Everything looks fine in the RAM preview, things line up and the timing looks good.

However, I run into problems when I want to render the final result.

Everything seems to be off, with regards to the timing. It looks like all my keyframes are off by a few frames, leading to misalignment.

As I said, I'm new to After Effects (this is my first attempt at editing any kind of video), and I suspect I screwed up right at the begining of my project.

The original footage is 23,970 fps, but I changed the composition framerate to 23,976 fps.

Can't remember why exactly, I suspect it had something to do with tracking in Mocha..

Could this be the reason my output is off?
And shouldn't the output match the preview? Otherwise, getting the timing would be very hard..

Any tips on how to correct this, without trying to figure out how many frames each pre-comp is off, and manually correcting them? I have about 20 elements which would need editing..

Any help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Problem rendering movie
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:13:59 pm

If ram preview is fine but the output is not I would double check my render settings just to make sure the frame rate is the same.

Also it's best not to change the frame rate of the composition to something other then what the footage is or what you track it on from mocha because it tends to cause misalignment and slipping though I'm not sure if that's the problem in you case since you said it was fine.

hope that helps

Greg - Blog - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem rendering movie
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:24:34 pm

There are some very common reasons why things are messed up:
  • The footage was shot at 23.976, but the 3:2 pulldown wasn't removed prior to editing, a Very Bad Thing indeed. You'd have to start over from scratch, removing the pulldown BEFORE you edit.
  • You used Open GL to accelerate rendering, and it should be turned off.
  • You're using DSLR / HDV / Flipcam - type footage and you have a version of AE earlier than CS5, which means you'll have to convert the footage to a lossless codec.
  • Any combination of the above.

Without more information, that's the best I can do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved