ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stay in front of 3d layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gravesstay in front of 3d layers
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:45:57 am

I much prefer to work in 3D because of the logarithmic zoom. However, some of my layers are disappearing behind the camera and I don't want them to. (Also I sometimes have problems with layers disappearing behind other layers, which i don't want either, which contradicts the stacking order of my art.) How can I control my layers -- namely, keep them in FRONT of the camera no matter how much i track in on them?

thx

~ John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

John GravesRe: stay in front of 3d layers
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08:19 am

I think I've worked out the answer. For me the solution is to use scale instead of zoom if I want to maintain stacking order.

thx

John

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: stay in front of 3d layers
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:20:31 am

When you make layers 3D they no longer refer to the stacking order in the Timeline for their distance from the viewer, this is determined by the Z position value. However, if you place a 2D layer between 3D layers this can "break" the 3D render order and can cause layers to "jump" in front of, or behind other layers, causing some confusion. Check your comp to make sure you have no 2D layers in between your 3D layers (including 2D adjustment layers).

If you still prefer to use Scale to fake a camera zoom, make sure to select the keyframes and then got to Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Exponential Scale. This will make it a more dynamic zoom-type effect. Without this the Scale animation will be linear and will therefore appear to either speed up or slow down over time.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

John GravesRe: stay in front of 3d layers
by on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:48:07 pm

Hey that is super helpful. Yeah, Angie, I noticed that as some of the layers in the 45 layer comp were popping off and on erratically (behind another element) on some frames, i went through and set all the disks to Z -1 above the black background. But it wasn't enough. Some elements were still popping off occasionally, so I carefully pushed each problem layer from a Z position of -1 to -1.1 to fix the problem.

http://www.command-post.com/revendo2_264.mov

Then as I did this adjustment, another object would be pop off, even though it's position had nothing to do with the object that I just adjusted by a tenth. Then I adjusted the next object on the popoff, perhaps to Z 1.2. Once that object reappeared, another one would disappear, so i tweaked the next and the next. Finally after several of these adjustments, all the objects were appearing properly. Mind you this is just on one frame of a 6 second comp. The behavior of the program's 3d function on complex comps is somewhat irrational, but luckily it's not so bad that one can't come up with a workaround.

thx

~ John

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]