ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Help deinterlacing 60i

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron BearHelp deinterlacing 60i
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:33:40 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to video framerate and interlacing. I think I understand the basic idea of how it works for regular video but get a little lost when dealing with HD 60i. I have a canon camcorder that records 1920x1080 at 60i and I want to deinterlace it for editing, tracking and vfx. When trying to track an interlaced video, the trackers bounce around on the different fields and give a noisy track.

When 60i is deinterlaced does it give you 30p?
I've been trying to deinterlace the footage in AE but can't seem to get the field order and pulldown correct. The best seems to have been lowerfield first with pulldown off and I get a framerate of 48fps but when playing it back every second or so there's a very noticable jitter.

I thought I knew how this worked but now I'm just confused and anxious to get in and play around with adding some vfx. My thinking was 60i would give a much smoother video for better tracking, etc.

Lastly, once the video is deinterlaced and I've done all my visual work, how should the final be rendered out? 24, 29.97 or add any pulldown?

And...headache haha.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Aaron-
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Deinterlacing 60i
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:19:20 pm

[Aaron Bear] "I've been trying to deinterlace the footage in AE but can't seem to get the field order and pulldown correct. The best seems to have been lowerfield first with pulldown off and I get a framerate of 48fps but when playing it back every second or so there's a very noticable jitter."

There's something you're not telling us.
Did you try to use HDV footage shot at 24p without removing the 3:2 pulldown first?
And exactly WHAT application is telling you the frame rate is 48 fps, and under what conditions is it telling you this?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron BearRe: Deinterlacing 60i
by on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:40:39 pm

"Did you try to use HDV footage shot at 24p without removing the 3:2 pulldown first? And exactly WHAT application is telling you the frame rate is 48 fps, and under what conditions is it telling you this?"

Thanks for the response. Its been a long time since I've done video so ill try to run through my workflow thus far. When I filmed, I selected 60i, then I converted the raw .3gp to a png image sequence for AE. In AE I imported the footage and interpted it as 60fps and have been experimenting with upper/lower first, and playing around with the different pulldown options (Guess 3:2 and 24P in CS3 doesn't seem to work). Once I hit ok, in the comp settings it shows 48fps and when I render out a test quicktime png .mov it also shows 48fps under the movie info.
So..am I confused on the process or am I missing something completely?
I guess I'm not too sure what 60i converts to. 24P? Would that require adding or removing pulldown?

-Aaron-
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Deinterlacing 60i
by on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:15:20 pm

[Aaron Bear] "When I filmed, I selected 60i, then I converted the raw .3gp to a png image sequence for AE. In AE I imported the footage and interpted it as 60fps and have been experimenting with upper/lower first, and playing around with the different pulldown options (Guess 3:2 and 24P in CS3 doesn't seem to work)."

Unless you are willing to spend many hundreds of dollars on frame rate conversion software, you will have to work with what you have. Save the film frame rate until the next project.

I assume you're in an NTSC country, not Europe. I further assume you shot HD, not SD. Interpret your PNG sequence as 29.97, UPPER FIELD FIRST. That is also the way you will render: 29.97, Upper Field First.

"But I want to make this at 24P, Dave!"

You have two options: spend several hundred dollars for frame rate conversion software, or wait until the next project, when you will shoot at 23.976 and remove the 3:2 pulldown to create 23.976 footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]