ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with Importing 8-bit files as 10-bit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill RavensProblem with Importing 8-bit files as 10-bit
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:23:49 pm

I've been importing 8-bit native footage to AE CS5.5 with Project Properties set to 10 bit. I am noticing that I am getting some very odd lines appearing around all the very high luminance areas of the images. If the image is blown out, at all, in a small area, a black line artifact surrounds the spot. No amount of adjusting exposure after the file is brought into AE will fix the artifacts. If I adjust the exposure prior to bringing the file into AE, the problem disappears.

Anyone know what's causing this, and how I can avoid it after the file is brought into AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem with Importing 8-bit files as 10-bit
by on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:44:12 pm

We need more information before we can give you a straight answer:
  • Your computer, operating system and amount of RAM
  • The kind of footage you're using, the type of camera used to shoot it and its codec
  • The application(s) in which you DON'T see the annoying lines
  • The application in which you will use your rendered AE files
  • The effects you used in AE to adjust the video level

That's good for starters.

And to my knowledge -- which goes back to AE Version 3.1 -- there's no such thing as a 10-bit project. It's 8, 16 or 32 bits.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bill RavensRe: Problem with Importing 8-bit files as 10-bit
by on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:31:38 am

Thanx for replying Dave. I'm bringing the footage into a 16-bit project from AVCHD formated files acquired from a Sony FS100, altho' the same happens with footage from an EX1. The files were transcoded to DNx175x (This is Avid's 10-bit 175Nbps codec) prior to importing to AEFX.

I'm running Win7SP1 64 bit Pro on an HP 8740w laptop with external storage and a quadro fx3800 video card.I can playback to footage on WMP, Media Player Classic, or even import it into AEFX as an 8-bit composition without experiencing the problem. It seems to happen only when I try to bring the footage into a 16 bit comp.I intend to send the output to DNx175x for import into Media Composer 5.5.

I attempted to correct the exposure values with several of AFX's plugins, including the levels control, synthetic aperture, or even Colorista II.

edit: I've imported the native AVCHD files into a 16 bit AEFX comp and have not expereinced the artifacts. So, it seems the problem is related to the trancoding step.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved