ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Filling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin BrecksFilling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:20:12 pm

Hello -- newbie here.

I'd like to take an irregular shape (let's say a large star) and fill it with text. I don't want the star to function as a mask, because I want the text to wrap. In other Adobe programs this is a cinch because you can manipulate the shape of the text bounding box, but After Effects doesn't seem to have that capability. Any ideas?

Thanks --
GB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Filling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:31:36 pm

Use one of those other Adobe programs to do the job. This particular capability isn't in AE's bag of tricks; it's a time-consuming pain in the neck to do in AE.

When you're done in Illustrator, save as RGB and import it into AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gavin BrecksRe: Filling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:38:12 pm

Hi Dave -- Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that I'll be animating text into and out of these shapes, so they won't just be static images. I'd like to do it in AE, even if it takes expressions (from what I've been able to glean so far, it will).

I do have a good handle on a lot of AE, but I haven't used expressions before. Should I post this in a different forum?

Thanks,
GB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Filling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:48:09 pm

The problem: text bounding boxes in AE are rectangular ONLY. No other shapes. No other way to constrain text to lie within a given shape.

It sounds like it might be time for Plan B for your motion graphics. You can check for an expression or script that can honor a given shape, but I don't hold out much optimism for it. Visit the AE Expressions forum, and they may have a more definitive answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Filling a shape with text / changing the shape of a text bounding box
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:47:06 pm

This sounds like an excellent feature request [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]