ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is this done with shatter effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cordelia BrownIs this done with shatter effect?
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:48:04 am

Hi there,

Am scratching my head trying to figure out how this effect was done...

Watch from 50 sec to 55 sec

It's like they've shattered the logo in reverse, which I get, but the part I don't get is how they got it to shatter according to the individual peices in the logo (which I'm assuming were individual parts in a composition and originally individual photoshop/illustrator layers).

Any pro's out there got some clues for me as to how it can be done?
I was also thinking that maybe it was done in C4D in which case I'd also welcome tips.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Is this done with shatter effect?
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:25:09 am

Hi there,

You can do this by building a custom shatter map and using the Shatter effect in AE. I have a free tutorial that covers this here;

Click on the Link to "Handling particles in After Effects" to learn more.

Hope this helps! :-)

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

MacKenzie HanamanRe: Is this done with shatter effect?
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:30:14 am

After some digging around I think I found a tutorial that can answer how this was done.

I made a rectangle in adobe illustrator and cut it up like in the tutorial. After it was cut up, colored the individual pieces randomly.You can make a new palette on adobe's kuler site I used a script to randomize the colors of the objects.

It'll pick from the palette you have loaded, so essentially you can choose the colors you like from kuler and then randomly apply them.

While the tut helped out, I don't know how to get the logo to build up from the bottom beside reorganizing the layers in that order before applying the expressions. With so 200 odd layers, I'm hoping there's a better way.

Mac Hanaman

Return to posts index

Cordelia BrownRe: Is this done with shatter effect?
by on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:19:29 am

Thanks to both of you for those replies, haven't had a chance to sit down and tinker yet but both of those are excellent solutions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved