ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Chainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad KoChainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:33:06 pm

Hello,

I'm new to After Effects and green screen work. I do a lot of my own makeup effects but the scene I'm going to shoot will likely require green screen.

This is for a really low budget horror movie, and a pretty graphic scene.

I have to shoot something that's like a medium to close up of a person that is tied to a chair with their head strapped back, exposing their neck a lot. Then we have the villain plug in an electric chainsaw, and begins to cut at the victims neck.

Pretty crazy...

I don't want to do a whole life cast of the actor and go through all that expense of creating a fake look-alike dummy...

I was thinking of doing a green screen background, and making something similar to a persons neck and paint that green, fill it with blood and measure the distance of where the chainsaw in the scene would be compared to the CG shot, as well as light it the same way.

Then, shoot the scene showing the chainsaw cut at the green "neck" with green backdrop, and in aftereffects, key out all the green so that all you would see is the chainsaw and the blood.

Add that as an overlay of the actual scene, so that it looks like the chainsaw is really there in the scene cutting the victims neck. It would be a quick shot, maybe only 2 seconds. Shooting with RED ONE MX.

I hope this makes sense, and if so, do you think I am making the right approach? Again, I am new to digital effects...

Thanks!

-Chad

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Chainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 1:47:14 pm

I guess you don't want to do what most horror movies do and show the chainsaw getting close, then cut to a shot towards the chainsaw operators face as he gets splattered with the blood, then cut back to a shot towards the victim post-sawing?

If you must go the gory route, your process actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea. I'd suggest shooting some tests first. It may take some practice and/or tweaking to get the blood to shoot out the way you want it to.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chad KoRe: Chainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?
by on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:22:50 pm

Thanks so much, Michael! I will probably try doing some tests by the end of next week. I'm sure it's going to take quite a bit of tests to get it to look like we want it to, we want it looking as realistic as possible.

Thanks again!

:-)

-Chad

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Chainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:09:30 pm

[Chad Ko] "We want it looking as realistic as possible"

No you don't. Actually realistic is not going to be as splattery as you want. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Chainsaw blood effect... any suggestions?
by on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:05:34 am

[Michael Szalapski] "[Chad Ko] "We want it looking as realistic as possible"

No you don't. Actually realistic is not going to be as splattery as you want. :)"

Yeah, I read that in ..some book. The Guerilla filmaking book I think. "DonĀ“t make it look real. Make it look good."

The last few seconds of this horror vfx short shows some breakdowns of their scenes, which might be inspiring.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]