ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Sketch in a straight line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Bauer
Motion Sketch in a straight line
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:41:05 am

This might be an easy question, but I can't figure out a way to do this efficiently. I'm trying to make a music video similar to the 3rd video on this web page:

http://blog.leftchannel.com/2010/05/06/express-march-april/

Scroll down to the video labeled 'APRIL 2010 CAMPAIGN Music: “Wear My Kiss” by Sugababes.'

I want to know how to do the effect from 0:04 to 0:06.

Right now I have 5 black rectangles that I'm animating manually using Position keyframes. However, there must be a more efficient way to go about it. I tried the Motion Sketch effect but couldn't get the black rectangles to go straight up and down.

I tried a lot of other ideas too, and searched the web and the forum but can't find an answer to this question. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Motion Sketch in a straight line
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:27:21 pm

[Sue Bauer] "I tried the Motion Sketch effect but couldn't get the black rectangles to go straight up and down. "

Set an initial position keyframe. Advance the timeline cursor to a later time. Scrub the vertical position setting, shift-drag the layer up or use the up-down cursor keys. The layer will now move vertically.

Copy the initial keyframe, move the timeline cursor to a later time and paste: the layer will now move up and down.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:55:31 pm

If you want to use Motion Sketch you'll have to apply an expression to zero out the x value of the position. I'd recommend applying the motion sketch to a Null Object as this will allow you to parent the solid and vary the relative x and y position.

Try creating a Null Object, use motion sketch on it, apply this expression (PC: alt-click on the stopwatch, Mac: opt-click on the stopwatch):

[0, value[1]]

Go to frame 1, parent the solid to the null and then move the solid to the position where you want it to start it's animation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Sue Bauer
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:26:10 pm

Thanks, Darby. You're a star! That works quite well. I hoped there was a way to keep my layer going straight up and down but I could not figure it out. Much appreciated. I ended up finishing another project because this one is taking a lot of time. Funny how that works. Now it will go more smoothly. I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]